Sterilite gasket boxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you tried these Sterilite gasket boxes for dried food storage? I have one filled with medical stuff I have collected and was thinking of getting at least one when I can for storing bags of dried beans, rice etc in. I know they would be better with oxygen absorbers but I have not gotten to buy any of those yet. They have the boxes in a lot of different sizes. The Robot or Human thing below is a link to them.

Sterilite gasket box.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...zkeXcQGFJN1h92hp7Lk&athancid=null&athena=true

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several of those and I don't believe they are strong enough for food storage. You're better off with 5 gall buckets.

Smaller ones might work well. You will still need O2 absorbers and mylar bags. Plastic isn't airtight

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Those bins would be good for bags of chips or something that's lightweight. I use food grade plastic buckets with lids. That would be HDPE 1 or 2 if I remember; same class as the blue H2O drums. I got some at Tractor supply and I think Winco has them along with O2 absorbers (iron oxide packets) and mylar bags. In a pinch, you can use hand warmers; they are iron oxide and resin. They work. The Mormon cannery over by the airport doesn't carry canning or long-term storage supplies anymore but they do have wheat and beans in bags and canned and dry goods in packaged #10 cans. All the beans you want. It's easy too, like zero labor.

You can get all the long-term storage supplies online as well.

Figure out what size bags you'll use, pour dry good into it (leave room for seal-don't make a big@ss ball), drop 1-2 O2 absorbers, seal with an iron on hot-cotton setting (or a heat press if you're fancy) to seal the mylar. Put in bucket. Good for 15-30ish years.

Shorter term or use case, just dump dry goods into bucket and put on lid. Use as you go. If sealed, will be good for 2-5 years depending on temp and seal. O2 absorbers won't work with this method.

There are lid adapters for daily use buckets that have screw on lids with rubber gaskets. These are great but a little spendy.

You can get can sealers too for dry goods if you like using the #10 cans.

I highly recommend getting a flour mill or having access to one. A good one that will last longer than you. It won't break. Chicoms make junker ones...look good until you use it.

IMG_6610.jpg
IMG_6611.jpg

Tractor Supply buckets with lids

IMG_6612.jpg

Hard red wheat in mylar

IMG_6613.jpg

Loose pintos

Last edited:

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, not that red dietary fiber enhancer 😳😳
Please add hard white to the pantry.
E43A45BC-5281-4DA3-9C2A-3A307C14A981.png

That way with a couple other simple ingredients
One can make items such as, whole wheat cinnamon rolls..............day old but still gewd after about 30 seconds on power level 7😉
B4680C19-9A7F-4BDD-A75D-0FE260518DF5.png

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg

They’re kinda pricey, but I really like these dog food vaults. They have a gamma seal lid. Best deal I have found is at Costco, where they’re $30 for a 60ish lb capacity (of dog food kibbles). I like that they’re stackable, so you can easily stack them in a closet and still have access to each container with the twist of a lid, rather than installing a bunch of 5 gallon jugs. Right now the one on the right is used for dog food and the container is flipped for easier scooping. Going through ULine a 5 gallon food grade bucket and matching gamma seal lid would cost you $18 or so.

I’ve found that a lot of those clear plastic boxes are polypropylene, which degrades quickly in sunlight, oxidizes easily, and is flammable. I’ve stored some polypropylene boxes in a closet or storage unit for a as short as 2 years and have found them cracking and brittle.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK a 32QT Sterilite gasket box will hold
5 lbs pintos in bags,
3 bags rice,
1 bag, 1 box of elbow mac,
4lbs sugar,
2 pkgs coffee,
1 lg, 2 sm packages powdered milk.
And room for probably another 2 bags of rice. Lite enough to move around, clear enough to see what is in there. I would not load one down with like all dried beans but for a sale shopper like me that has a mix of stuff it seems to work OK.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem with those Sterilite boxes has been that they're about as durable as a paper bag. If all you want to do is put stuff in them and leave them sitting on a shelf, they're good for that, but if you need to move them around much at all, they break way too easily.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My problem with those Sterilite boxes has been that they're about as durable as a paper bag. If all you want to do is put stuff in them and leave them sitting on a shelf, they're good for that, but if you need to move them around much at all, they break way too easily.
I agree on most of them. The gasket boxes seem a little heavier made.

Latest posts

Top Bottom