Sterling, Oklahoma Teachers carrying guns soon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
The questions have been asked here in Lawton, too. The issue is the CLEET and Security Guard training. When schools cannot afford textbooks, how are schools going to afford to pay for a large number of teachers CLEET training? If I went to get CLEET training, I would have to give up a large portion of my summer. I already give them two weeks for free during the summer, going to AP workshops. Most district would only be able send a very limited number of teachers to CLEET training. Is a district going to be able to afford to pay very many teachers to go? Hell, they already cannot figure out how to pay us enough to start with. Lawton PS does not reimburse me for my fuel cost to drive to Tulsa for the training.
There is currently a bill in the house that will allow teachers to carry with a permit, if the district has an actual policy. I am not even sure this bill is the best idea, the majority of educators are pacifist. Therefore, many districts are stilling going to have a gun-free policy, if the bill passes.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The questions have been asked here in Lawton, too. The issue is the CLEET and Security Guard training. When schools cannot afford textbooks, how are schools going to afford to pay for a large number of teachers CLEET training? If I went to get CLEET training, I would have to give up a large portion of my summer. I already give them two weeks for free during the summer, going to AP workshops. Most district would only be able send a very limited number of teachers to CLEET training. Is a district going to be able to afford to pay very many teachers to go? Hell, they already cannot figure out how to pay us enough to start with. Lawton PS does not reimburse me for my fuel cost to drive to Tulsa for the training.
There is currently a bill in the house that will allow teachers to carry with a permit, if the district has an actual policy. I am not even sure this bill is the best idea, the majority of educators are pacifist. Therefore, many districts are stilling going to have a gun-free policy, if the bill passes.
So true, like so many other things in the public school policy it will be left up to said "volunteers" to provide their own training, insurance, weapon, ammo, and to be at events for free to provide "support" and protection. Well, there might be a small stipend but like everything else it won't cover what will be invested by the teacher/carrier.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HB 3192 that passed the Public Safety Committee on Wednesday HERE appears to only require an SDA license if that is the policy the board adopts. The bill summary states "HB 3192 would add to the existing personnel allowed to carry a firearm on school property if a school district has adopted a policy to authorize the carrying of a handgun onto school property. The measure authorizes the school board to designate school personnel who have an SDA license to carry a firearm at the school."

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
B257A2AB-661F-453B-B869-CD5812D369EB.jpeg
43ACCCDD-8663-4145-8939-D5FD4CA7B361.gif

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ONE teacher in each school is better than what we have now (speaking of teachers that carry, not SROs).

And I'm so damn sick of hearing about how strapped our schools are. Oklahoma is ranked #8 in the country for school administrative spending. Number EIGHT! What are we getting for it? I hear we are dead ass last in all things school. I saw a news clip yesterday that had video in the state house that said the lottery fund was raided and nobody knows where it went and there's no way to find out. Really?

Fix all that then, then audit the whole state's school expenditures and then we can talk about other items like revenue increases, etc. I'd lay money on the table that says we'd be able to fund a lot of strapped teachers, RSOs and volunteers without raising a dime from the taxpayers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom