Sterling, Oklahoma Teachers carrying guns soon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So this little town has approx 400 students in grades K-12, is an ISD and funds itself through taxes and fundraisers (sold a ranch up there a few years ago). No idea how or where the money would come from to hire ANYONE more than they have on the payroll. The Police Chief, Mike is in full support of the idea (teachers carrying) as are many folks I talk to frequently up that way. The shame in all this is that the discussion even has to be had about arming teachers, not just in the middle of cow paddy Oklahoma, but anywhere in the USA. But then again, evolution will continue and there must be means to keep up. If there are those that insist on doing harm towards those institutions, then we must allow them the chance to meet the Angel of Death while doing it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So this little town has approx 400 students in grades K-12, is an ISD and funds itself through taxes and fundraisers (sold a ranch up there a few years ago). No idea how or where the money would come from to hire ANYONE more than they have on the payroll. The Police Chief, Mike is in full support of the idea (teachers carrying) as are many folks I talk to frequently up that way. The shame in all this is that the discussion even has to be had about arming teachers, not just in the middle of cow paddy Oklahoma, but anywhere in the USA. But then again, evolution will continue and there must be means to keep up. If there are those that insist on doing harm towards those institutions, then we must allow them the chance to meet the Angel of Death while doing it.

I have no issues with arming the teachers, janitors, maintenance folks and whoever wants to be armed.
Most of the school shooters have little training with guns as it seems they have issues with failures, and resort to secondary means in some cases or just commit suicide to end it all.
Some basic training that any LEO office in the area for active shooters would be more than happy to conduct would go a long way to give school personnel a slight tactical edge.
The school shooters wander aimlessly in most reports just shooting targets of opportunity that can't fight back.

I think I heard today that not one school that advertises its teachers are armed has been involved in a school shooting.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I heard today that not one school that advertises its teachers are armed has been involved in a school shooting.

To be fair, that has to be an incredibly small sample size.

Got into a discussion with my own mother this weekend when she went off about arming teachers - she said she couldn't believe such a stupid idea, that some teacher would get angry with a student and just pull their gun and shoot the student!

I nearly lost my s***. Lol. First of all, I told her how, at least in Oklahoma, those with Handgun Licenses are actually convicted of crimes at a lower rate than commissioned LEOs. Then I asked her, if she was so worried that a teacher was mentally unbalanced enough to be at risk of shooting their own students, why in the name of God are they teaching kids to begin with???? She didn't have much to say after that. lol

The more I am around my parents, the more I want to totally avoid political discussions at all. They want to do nothing but complain about Trump every time I see them - and yet, they don't have any solutions or anything positive to say about anyone. I'm not a Trump fan, not at all. I think the guy can be pretty inflammatory (I know, understatement), but I'll be damned if there is a good option out there anywhere that is actually willing to serve.

I'll be the first to tell you, no way in hell I would do it.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be fair, that has to be an incredibly small sample size.

Got into a discussion with my own mother this weekend when she went off about arming teachers - she said she couldn't believe such a stupid idea, that some teacher would get angry with a student and just pull their gun and shoot the student!

I nearly lost my s***. Lol. First of all, I told her how, at least in Oklahoma, those with Handgun Licenses are actually convicted of crimes at a lower rate than commissioned LEOs. Then I asked her, if she was so worried that a teacher was mentally unbalanced enough to be at risk of shooting their own students, why in the name of God are they teaching kids to begin with???? She didn't have much to say after that. lol

The more I am around my parents, the more I want to totally avoid political discussions at all. They want to do nothing but complain about Trump every time I see them - and yet, they don't have any solutions or anything positive to say about anyone. I'm not a Trump fan, not at all. I think the guy can be pretty inflammatory (I know, understatement), but I'll be damned if there is a good option out there anywhere that is actually willing to serve.

I'll be the first to tell you, no way in hell I would do it.

I think we have the same parents :O

Had my stepmom in tears over this same crap last weekend. She is the sweetest person in the world and just doesn't understand the inherent evil in some people. Unfortunately, she believes what people (news) tells her.

I did apologize for upsetting her, gave her a hug and told her that even though we have a different view of the world, I'd always love her and always be there for her but I would never agree with her on this one.

As for teachers carrying, I'm in full support but I would also like to see a training course developed specifically for that community. I thin it could be done at little to no cost. I know myself and several other SDA instructors if given the training materials would volunteer to teach the course at one of the "In service" days they have throughout the year for free.

As an SDA instructor for 25 years or so, I can tell you the state mandated course material is more than "light on content" as it should be given the fact it shouldn't be a requirement at all IMHO. In no way does it prepare someone to be effective in an active shooter scenario. Before the flame throwers come out, I'm not advocating turning teachers into "highly skilled operators". Basic tactics, situational awareness scenarios, some force on force role playto bring it to life on a minimal level and call it good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom