Sterling, Oklahoma Teachers carrying guns soon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find money to improve school safety measures and hire real security.
Ideally, every school would do both. Armed security officer on every campus and armed teachers. Why should a teacher be required to relinquish their right to defend themselves and those they are responsible for? Some of the larger districts have their own police force, but there are many districts where having full time armed security is not a realistic option at this time.

As for teachers carrying, I'm in full support but I would also like to see a training course developed specifically for that community. I thin it could be done at little to no cost. I know myself and several other SDA instructors if given the training materials would volunteer to teach the course at one of the "In service" days they have throughout the year for free.

As an SDA instructor for 25 years or so, I can tell you the state mandated course material is more than "light on content" as it should be given the fact it shouldn't be a requirement at all IMHO. In no way does it prepare someone to be effective in an active shooter scenario. Before the flame throwers come out, I'm not advocating turning teachers into "highly skilled operators". Basic tactics, situational awareness scenarios, some force on force role playto bring it to life on a minimal level and call it good.

Training by fastersaveslives.org is funded by the Buckeye Firearms Association. For those of you that are unsure about arming teachers or just want to know more, take a look at the videos on Faster Saves Lives youtube channel.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ideally, every school would do both. Armed security officer on every campus and armed teachers. Why should a teacher be required to relinquish their right to defend themselves and those they are responsible for? Some of the larger districts have their own police force, but there are many districts where having full time armed security is not a realistic option at this time.
The police force we have are mostly rejects from the city police, which are mostly guys that cannot get a job with the state.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be fair, that has to be an incredibly small sample size.
It's actually not really small.

18 states allow adults with carry permits to be armed on campus so long as they get proper approval from school officials.

-Alabama (which bans possessing a weapon on school grounds only if the carrier has "intent to do bodily harm")
-California (with approval of the superintendent)
-Connecticut (with approval of "school officials")
-Hawaii (no specific law)
-Idaho (with school trustees' approval)
-Iowa (with "authorization")
-Kentucky (with school board approval)
-Massachusetts (with approval of the school board or principal)
-Mississippi (with school board approval)
-Montana (with school trustees' permission)

-New Hampshire (ban applies only to pupils, not adults)
-New Jersey (with approval from the school's "governing officer")
-New York (with the school's approval)
-Oregon (with school board approval)
-Rhode Island (with a state concealed weapons permit)
-Texas (with the school's permission)
-Utah (with approval of the "responsible school administrator")
-Wyoming (as long as it's not concealed)

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...t-already-allow-teachers-to-be-armed-n2454454

There are 172 school districts in Texas that allow staff and/or board members to carry firearms on school premises, according to a statewide review of board policies by the Texas Association of School Boards.

The Caller-Times requested data on school board policies related to arming staff in the wake of the recent school shooting that killed 17 in Parkland, Florida.

More: How Texas laws arm public school teachers

More: Gov. Greg Abbott orders more safety measures for Texas schools after Florida shooting

Those 172 school districts represent about 17 percent of the 1,023 independent school districts in Texas, according to the Texas Education Agency. About 15 percent of all ISDs have a police department and about 24 percent employ school resource officers, according to the association's analysis.

The names of the school districts were not provided to the Caller-Times.

http://www.caller.com/story/news/ed...stricts-allow-teachers-staff-armed/364677002/

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's actually not really small.

18 states allow adults with carry permits to be armed on campus so long as they get proper approval from school officials.

-Alabama (which bans possessing a weapon on school grounds only if the carrier has "intent to do bodily harm")
-California (with approval of the superintendent)
-Connecticut (with approval of "school officials")
-Hawaii (no specific law)
-Idaho (with school trustees' approval)
-Iowa (with "authorization")
-Kentucky (with school board approval)
-Massachusetts (with approval of the school board or principal)
-Mississippi (with school board approval)
-Montana (with school trustees' permission)

-New Hampshire (ban applies only to pupils, not adults)
-New Jersey (with approval from the school's "governing officer")
-New York (with the school's approval)
-Oregon (with school board approval)
-Rhode Island (with a state concealed weapons permit)
-Texas (with the school's permission)
-Utah (with approval of the "responsible school administrator")
-Wyoming (as long as it's not concealed)

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...t-already-allow-teachers-to-be-armed-n2454454

There are 172 school districts in Texas that allow staff and/or board members to carry firearms on school premises, according to a statewide review of board policies by the Texas Association of School Boards.

The Caller-Times requested data on school board policies related to arming staff in the wake of the recent school shooting that killed 17 in Parkland, Florida.

More: How Texas laws arm public school teachers

More: Gov. Greg Abbott orders more safety measures for Texas schools after Florida shooting

Those 172 school districts represent about 17 percent of the 1,023 independent school districts in Texas, according to the Texas Education Agency. About 15 percent of all ISDs have a police department and about 24 percent employ school resource officers, according to the association's analysis.

The names of the school districts were not provided to the Caller-Times.

http://www.caller.com/story/news/ed...stricts-allow-teachers-staff-armed/364677002/
I saw that list last week and found it incomplete and somewhat inaccurate. Unless the law has changed in last 3 or 4 years Utah only requires a carry permit and no permission from the school. Ohio (not on the list) also allows armed teachers with board approval. I read the statute about 10 days ago. It also states specifically that armed teachers are not law enforcement.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that list last week and found it incomplete and somewhat inaccurate. Unless the law has changed in last 3 or 4 years Utah only requires a carry permit and no permission from the school. Ohio (not on the list) also allows armed teachers with board approval. I read the statute about 10 days ago. It also states specifically that armed teachers are not law enforcement.
I posted what I found. It's good to hear some states not in the report are included.
I agree armed teachers are not LEO, just like CC holders are not LEO. With the castle doctrine they are covered in protecting those around them from grievous harm.

Rustytweezers

Wall building Ammunition hoarding Gun packing Okie
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a teacher getting beat down by a punk student then another mass shooting you watch and see! They aren’t competent enough to safely manage a gun around the different types of students.

-- "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a teacher getting beat down by a punk student then another mass shooting you watch and see! They aren’t competent enough to safely manage a gun around the different types of students.

-- "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
I'm not ruling out your scenario, but part of the solution would be to offer special training to the teachers.
It's a sad day when teachers have to defend themselves from students.
I can understand that some teachers probably warrant a beat down, and I had one back in HS that did, but I was taught that actions have consequences all of my life, and I didn't want to suffer the consequences.

Rustytweezers

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. But they bus punks from north Tulsa to my sons school in south Tulsa and these kids have nothing to lose for the most part they come to his school because they are problems at their district school and cuss the teachers tell them to stfu and all kinds of **** that would have gotten your teeth knocked out when I went to school that crap just never happened! Now days we just had a teacher throw a desk across the room twice in the same rant in my sons school! Just think they should beef up security forces in the schools and leave the guns with the experienced people. I’m pro gun 1000% but it scares me seeing what would be strapping them on. Even with training. You feel me[emoji15]

Rustytweezers

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5206b244182280a3afc49d2e91316b91.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom