Still buying Nike or do you even care?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

CEO: 'Nike is a brand that is of China and for China'​

Nike CEO John Donahoe defended the company’s business in China this week, saying, "Nike is a brand that is of China and for China" following a consumer boycott in the country.

Donahoe made the remark during a call with Wall Street analysts on the company's fourth-quarter earnings when asked about competition from Chinese companies, the BBC reported.

Nike drew backlash in China in March after it issued a statement expressing concern over reports of forced labor in the Xinjiang region.

"Nike does not source products from [Xinjiang] and we have confirmed with our contract suppliers that they are not using textiles or spun yarn from the region," Nike said in a statement at the time.

Nike had reported a strong fourth quarter, with a total revenue of $12.3 billion and a profit of $1.5 billion. Additionally, sales in North America rose 141 percent year over year, equating to $5.38 billion.

Sales in China fell slightly short of expectations, as Nike reported $1.93 billion in revenue instead of the expected $2.25 that analysts hoped for, Fox Business reported.

Donahoe in the call this week expressed optimism about business in China, noting that "today we're the largest sport brand there," according to the BBC.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobb...ike-is-a-brand-that-is-of-china-and-for-china

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't bought a new pair of shoes in several years, but... I do need to get some. Was just telling my wife this the other day, she suggested we go over to Rack Room Shoes and find some, but I put it off.

My question is, if I want some tennis shoes, what mainstream company IS a GOOD option? They all support this woke, stupidity while sourcing their products from sweatshops paying pennies a day to their laborers.

So what decent options are there for nice, comfortable and somewhat stylish sneakers?

And no, I ain't wearing Cons.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never considered sneakers to be stylish, just something to chuck in a gym bag. I don't even own any. I do have one pair of cheapo boat shoes I wear when fishing.
Been wearing Leddy Bro's customs for so long I could play a tennis match in them. I can't change.
If you need a good work boot go ahead and quit being tight and drop the 200 on a pair of Thorogoods. Your feet will thank you.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never considered sneakers to be stylish, just something to chuck in a gym bag. I don't even own any. I do have one pair of cheapo boat shoes I wear when fishing.
Been wearing Leddy Bro's customs for so long I could play a tennis match in them. I can't change.
If you need a good work boot go ahead and quit being tight and drop the 200 on a pair of Thorogoods. Your feet will thank you.
Wearing some Reebok 8" work boots now, I probably should replace them, too. Been a coupla years.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for the work boots I have to spend the money. 12 hour shift and lots of climbing and working heights. I have no choice if I want to be able to make it without bandaids and crippling myself. Some people don't have to and I understand. I have a pair of twisted X on now and boy are they comfy. They even make a steel toe version and a lot of guys wear them but they don't last as long using them as a work boot.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last pair of sneakers I bought were Columbia because they were on sale. They are light and seem to be holding up well. I haven’t checked into their political views. They could be as bad as nike for all I know. They are headquartered in Portland, Or.

1624984878323.png

Last edited:

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New Balance is probably the least woke and they were the preferred brand of Trump. They also still manufacture their higher end models in the USA.

As far as woke corporations are concerned, any major brand has been compromised. Even the people right now avoiding Coca Cola for being woke forgot that Pepsi went woke for different reasons a few years ago. Keurig Dr. Pepper also went on record saying the voting law changes in GA and TX were wrong.

Sticking to generic stuff is probably the most "moral" way to spend your dollars, but make sure you don't buy generic brands of major companies (Walmart, Target). Hope you can tolerate Always Save/Best Choice brand stuff (which tastes identical to me anyway).

Latest posts

Top Bottom