Stillwater schools shift to virtual learning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! Traditional, in-person learning didn't last long.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/covid-...cle_11e40e0e-e58f-11ea-8b01-63920aaed9e0.html

Stillwater schools shift to virtual learning

After announcing Friday that Stillwater Public Schools would continue in-person instruction for the second week of classes, Superintendent Marc Moore announced Sunday that he had revised his decision based on the number of new COVID-19 infections.

SPS school sites will be closed Monday so the district can distribute laptops and Wifi hotspots to students who need them and virtual instruction will commence on Tuesday.

The district is using a COVID-19 threat assessment map provided by the Oklahoma State Department of Health every Friday to determine whether students go to school in-person or online. Moore said he also consults with local health authorities and other institutions to make the determination.

As of Friday, the district was still barely in code yellow, but new cases reported over the weekend pushed it into the first level of code orange, which entails a shift to on-line classes until numbers drop. Stillwater alone had 21 new cases on Sunday.

It has become clear in recent days that the numbers reported by the Health Department do not include all positive test results.

"The Oklahoma COVID-19 Alert System report on August 21 designated Payne County in the YELLOW category based on new coronavirus cases from Friday, August 14, through Thursday, August 20. Since last Thursday’s reporting, the Oklahoma Health Department has reported a significant number of new coronavirus cases, resulting in Payne County reaching an ORANGE 1 designation for three consecutive days with today’s population adjusted number exceeding 20 new cases per day on average for the past week. The threshold for Orange 1 is 14.39," Moore wrote in a social media post. "Due to this new information and district safety protocols calling for additional measures when community-wide spread of coronavirus increases, all SPS schools will observe ORANGE 1 from August 24 - 28."

Moore told the News Press on Friday that he would continue to monitor the situation and it could change over the weekend.

The decision to go virtual for at least the next week was made when new numbers were released on Sunday, Communications Coordinator Barry Fuxa said. He said the district is working out arrangements with the Child Nutrition Program to ensure students get fed. It will be communicating the specifics as the details are worked out.

"SPS values traditional, in-person learning and does not take this decision lightly, but keeping student and staff health and safety at the forefront of our decisions, we believe COVID-19 conditions necessitate a change to Distance Learning at this time," Moore wrote. "If you have specific questions, please contact your school."

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a teacher. I’ll wager that a lot more schools will move this way soon. CV19 is no joke and it may be in the best interest of the kids to not have them exposed to it. HAVING SAID THAT! I would much prefer to teach a classroom full of kids. The quality of instruction is so much better.... for them and the teacher. I hope all our young people stay healthy and safe this year. I’m ready for this crap to go away.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had hoped we'd make it a month, maybe 2. I always figured we'd end up shutting down. We made it a week before they closed for cleaning at the high school, my son missed 2 days of school last week (the virtual school is a joke).

I figure we'll reopen for a few days, then close again, and they'll move to total online school within a couple of weeks.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To bad public schools are not using science to back their decisions. Looks like a political move more than anything else. This is going to hurt working parents that need to work for income. Just as bad as shutting down business. Hope these parents remember this when they go out to vote November.

On another note it will be good to for parents to see what public education is sneaking in to the curriculum.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why schools didn't just go 100% online for the first 9 weeks . . . shutting down and quarantining entire classrooms with every positive test is crazy.

What's goofy about the Stillwater story is that OSU isn't changing their schedule . . . .

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
To bad public schools are not using science to back their decisions. Looks like a political move more than anything else. This is going to hurt working parents that need to work for income. Just as bad as shutting down business. Hope these parents remember this when they go out to vote November.

On another note it will be good to for parents to see what public education is sneaking in to the curriculum.

Parents can vote all they want. Until something is done to reign in OEA, things like this will continue. This will be the new norm during flu seasons I predict as well. A certain percentage of kids are out with the flu and bam, virtual learning from home again.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand why schools didn't just go 100% online for the first 9 weeks . . . shutting down and quarantining entire classrooms with every positive test is crazy.

What's goofy about the Stillwater story is that OSU isn't changing their schedule . . . .

I would like to see how many schools are back running in person as normal, as far as i know the entire NW part of the state is. Not sure what Guymon is doing though.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Here's my question that I thought of when Tulsa and OKC and many other large school districts voted to do exactly that...

"Given that we've been in various stages of 'lockdown' and restriction for 5 months...

What's going to be different 9 weeks from now? How about in Jan? March?"

Latest posts

Top Bottom