Stillwater schools shift to virtual learning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah... we have enough parents who refuse vaccines as it is now. What about when schools mandate a vaccine that was pushed through at the fastest pace in history???

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my question that I thought of when Tulsa and OKC and many other large school districts voted to do exactly that...

"Given that we've been in various stages of 'lockdown' and restriction for 5 months...

What's going to be different 9 weeks from now? How about in Jan? March?"

None of us know what is going to be different . . . I just don't get what the schools (some of them anyway) have been doing all summer? Did they put together a response plan or just decide to switch back and forth when a positive pops up?

I'm not aware of the schools keeping in contact with parents to track positives before school started to get an idea of what their number of cases looks like. I don't know that that would've fully helped them come to a conclusion or plan better, but they can't keep doing what they are now and it provide any sort of stability.

My wife is starting her first full week with the kids in the classroom . . . hopefully it goes as well as the first couple of days.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to see how many schools are back running in person as normal, as far as i know the entire NW part of the state is. Not sure what Guymon is doing though.

My wife teaches at Piedmont and they offered the kids options of coming in person or going online. Each grade has a designated online teacher. My wife and the kids have to wear masks in the classroom and many normal break room/teacher's work room activities aren't allowed.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of us know what is going to be different . . . I just don't get what the schools (some of them anyway) have been doing all summer? Did they put together a response plan or just decide to switch back and forth when a positive pops up?

I'm not aware of the schools keeping in contact with parents to track positives before school started to get an idea of what their number of cases looks like. I don't know that that would've fully helped them come to a conclusion or plan better, but they can't keep doing what they are now and it provide any sort of stability.

My wife is starting her first full week with the kids in the classroom . . . hopefully it goes as well as the first couple of days.

No contact from the school to us before school started for something like what you described.

Interestingly had breakfast with a couple of coaches this weekend - seems the plan here is likely if they shut the school down to continue programs like football/basketball/cheerleading. So it's too dangerous for kids to go to school - but we can't give up those sports.

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No contact from the school to us before school started for something like what you described.

Interestingly had breakfast with a couple of coaches this weekend - seems the plan here is likely if they shut the school down to continue programs like football/basketball/cheerleading. So it's too dangerous for kids to go to school - but we can't give up those sports.

Sheesh . . . that's what I didn't get about the first round of football scrimmages I saw pics of over the weekend. They play a full scrimmage but can't shake hands after due to COVID concerns?

None of this is making any sense at all.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sheesh . . . that's what I didn't get about the first round of football scrimmages I saw pics of over the weekend. They play a full scrimmage but can't shake hands after due to COVID concerns?

None of this is making any sense at all.

I thought it was funny, I talked to someone last weekend - they were related their daughter's(?) experience as the marching band's featured baton twirler at a major university. She was told she and her twirling counterpart could not pass batons back and forth, toss them to each to each other, etc., as part of the normal routine - due to COVID.

This is for performances at halftime at football games. Oh, the irony...

:lmfao:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought it was funny, I talked to someone last weekend - they were related their daughter's(?) experience as the marching band's featured baton twirler at a major university. She was told she and her twirling counterpart could not pass batons back and forth, toss them to each to each other, etc., as part of the normal routine - due to COVID.

Competitive trap, skeet and sporting clay shoots have been on across the nation as normal since the end of June, hundreds to thousands gather. Oklahoma 4H announced that their shooting program will still continue, but shooters must wear masks while shooting, wipe down firearms if they are handled by anyone but the shooter, callers and score keepers must remain 6' away from shooters, which is normal anyway, but when it's time to check scores at the end the score keeper must leave the score chair and each shooter can walk by one at a time at look at their score. If there's a disputed score, it must all be worked out 6' away lol. Parents and spectators must remain in vehicles at all times....................

Needless to say, there's a lot of AAA and AA 7-12gr Oklahoma shooters that aren't shooting 4H this year, or ever again, my kids included. My daughter played basketball tournaments in KS and OK all summer, contact all game, no high fives at the end lol.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son's school gave all the parents 2 options online or in person. If they come to school the desks are spread out as much as possible and masks are worn in common areas. They also hired additional staff to sanitize in the evenings. So far the school has been great about sharing information with parents that care enough to be involved. It is really frustrating with those parents that can always find time to complain but never find time to be part of the solution.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Last year there was ice available in the teacher's break room . . . . not this year. All due to COVID.

Latest posts

Top Bottom