Stinky gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the Chinese rubber in the product.
That's possible. Several years ago, we got some Kensington lock security cables for securing LCD monitors in an open area, and you could smell them before we even finished cutting open the blister packs. I'm pretty sure they were made of pure poo and assembled in a sewer by people who had no sense of smell. We tried washing them and leaving them to "air out" for a few weeks in a storage room, but nothing helped. The last time I saw them, they still smelled as wretchedly awful as the day we opened the packages.

Now, my sister had pretty good luck with, IIRC, Ozium (several cans of it) for getting the smoker stench out of a car back in the day (my dad got a hell of a deal on it because the original owner had been a chain smoker and it really and for truly reeked of stale cigarette smoke), but I'm not sure if it would help in this case.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently traded for a Ruger SP101. I got a really good deal or so I thought. The rubber grip on this gun has the worst kind of Funk you can imagine. It's kind of a cross between an ashtray, body odor, and ass. I've tried everything I can think of to clean it. Windex, Simple Green, upholstery cleaner, bag full of Arm & Hammer baking soda, 91% alcohol, Clorox, put in the washing machine, dishwasher. Each time, the funk remains Victorious. This is some serious funk. Any ideas before I just go and buy an oem grip from Ruger?
I know your getting POO-POO'd by some of the members but you have a real problem. Back in the 90's I bought a full set of hand held nut drivers from Crescent. They stunk just like you described when opening the package. To this day when I open the drawer in the tool box, they still stink.
The stink doesn't transfer to the hands but hasn't gone away almost 30 years later. I'll challenge anyone that doubts this to come open that drawer in the tool chest. The beer is on you if you think it didn't happen. :hey3:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently traded for a Ruger SP101. I got a really good deal or so I thought. The rubber grip on this gun has the worst kind of Funk you can imagine. It's kind of a cross between an ashtray, body odor, and ass. I've tried everything I can think of to clean it. Windex, Simple Green, upholstery cleaner, bag full of Arm & Hammer baking soda, 91% alcohol, Clorox, put in the washing machine, dishwasher. Each time, the funk remains Victorious. This is some serious funk. Any ideas before I just go and buy an oem grip from Ruger?

Soak the handle in cider?

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know your getting POO-POO'd by some of the members but you have a real problem. Back in the 90's I bought a full set of hand held nut drivers from Crescent. They stunk just like you described when opening the package. To this day when I open the drawer in the tool box, they still stink.
The stink doesn't transfer to the hands but hasn't gone away almost 30 years later. I'll challenge anyone that doubts this to come open that drawer in the tool chest. The beer is on you if you think it didn't happen. :hey3:

Those tool handles are made of cellulose acetate butyrate and over time decompose into butyric acid which reeks of rancid butter, vomit, and dirty ass socks. Interestingly, if you touch one of those handles to your tongue it will numb it instantly for about 2 or 3 minutes. Yep, tried it because a fella has got to know. I had a retired electrician give me a box of his tools from the 80's, and it was a punch in the face when you opened it up. I never could use those tools. https://petroleumservicecompany.com/blog/screwdrivers-rotting-butter-commonality/

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a lost cause. The only obvious fix is giving me the gun and a 100 bucks to go with it.

I had a freaking steering wheel do this to me, the part under the leather, started oozing stinking black stuff. Also had tools do it.

I'd just replace the grips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom