Stitt vs OK Dept of Ed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fire all of the teachers…. Right…. You do realize that most schools can’t fill the vacancies they have right now 6 weeks into the school year?

Kind of ironic how one never hears of school admin shortages in the state…. I wonder why that is????

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless things have changed since the late '80's, you are correct. While the teachers may be considered as state employees, and thus eligible for a pension, they are hired and fired by the Board of Education. The same applies to Principals and Superintendents. In most cases, while a Principal might also be a teacher and be eligible for tenure, a superintendent is generally not tenured. A Board can terminate his contract.
What exactly does tenured mean? That’s a serious question.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drive by a grade school during the day and count the cars in the parking lot.
You will find that there is not a teacher shortage but a huge numbers of admin in every school that nothing.
Oklahoma has 1 Teacher for every 15 Students (Look it up on the state web site)

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drive by a grade school during the day and count the cars in the parking lot.
You will find that there is not a teacher shortage but a huge numbers of admin in every school that nothing.
Oklahoma has 1 Teacher for every 15 Students (Look it up on the state web site)

That 1 teacher per 15 students has to be lumping in all of the schools regardless of size. So it doesn't really provide a true picture. My wife got her 25th student yesterday.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What exactly does tenured mean? That’s a serious question.

That is a circumstance when a teacher has been employed by a school district for a specified period of time and becomes less likely to be terminated. Back when I was a school board member, that time was three years. If a teacher had been "rehired" for the fourth year, they were tenured. As such, it required extensive documentation of infractions or failure to achieve "goals" to be able to fire them.

If a teacher had a deficiency in their teaching, the administration had to have a meeting with them to explain their deficiencies and then provide a "plan" by which the teacher could "improve" themselves. As long as they made "some improvement" according to that plan, they couldn't be terminated unless they just continued to not improve. Administration would have to document numerous "failures" before they could fire the teacher.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My wife isn't a member of either . . . she's part of Professional Oklahoma Educator's. Thankfully all of the "woke" stuff hasn't hit her school yet.
POE is gaining strength. They definitely have a more conservative platform than OEA. The only issue with them right now is that they don’t have a real seat at the bargaining table. I hope and see that changing soon.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
POE is gaining strength. They definitely have a more conservative platform than OEA. The only issue with them right now is that they don’t have a real seat at the bargaining table. I hope and see that changing soon.

Seems that way. Years ago they had a deal with the Thunder where members could buy tickets and their kids who went got to go on the court with the team. My girls thought that was pretty cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom