Stock Trailer Flooring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wow, A hoof thru the floor sounds like all sorts of trouble. Cant help on the mats

any traction problems getting the tractors up there with wet tires?
None. There is some texturing on the "planks" that resembles grain. A lot of folks use the same material on docks at the lake because it's not slick like wood when wet.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have thought of using deer fat to water proof something but never have done it.

I cooked deer ribs once and that fat did not seem to break down like Pork.
I had to use my fingernail to scrape the fat off the roof of my mouth.
Yea gross thing to say..

Hot water does not make if come off the knife very easy either which made me thing HHHMMMM

That might be good stuff for leather boots if it would not go rancid.
If Bear fat the same way??

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been told that some people will cut down an old cottonwood tree & take it to a mill. & use that wood to floor a trailer.

I didn't believe it I was told that, but he said the wood is rather stringy & fibrous, & makes decent strenth boards.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have thought of using deer fat to water proof something but never have done it.

I cooked deer ribs once and that fat did not seem to break down like Pork.
I had to use my fingernail to scrape the fat off the roof of my mouth.
Yea gross thing to say..

Hot water does not make if come off the knife very easy either which made me thing HHHMMMM

That might be good stuff for leather boots if it would not go rancid.
If Bear fat the same way??
i have tried several kinds of fat on leather, coon/deer/cow and sme others. skunk works the best but i haven't tried bear or beaver. the cow and deer made the leather rott. beeswax and fat combined work pretty well.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been told that some people will cut down an old cottonwood tree & take it to a mill. & use that wood to floor a trailer.

I didn't believe it I was told that, but he said the wood is rather stringy & fibrous, & makes decent strenth boards.
my dad bought a 4wheel hay trailer from a neighbor who used cottonwood to refloor it, I guess it looked perfect when he installed it but then it started curing cottonwood shrinks curls twists and buckles a lot when it cures the floor looked like hell but it was useable for hay, if it was in a livestock trailer it might have needed a few gaps filled. I wouldn't try cottonwood unless there is a tree mill that knows some secret to curing it

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ya'll want my recipe for handy dandy sure fire preservative for wood trailer floors?
is this a trick question? who wouldn't want a handy dandy surefire preservative for wood

used motor oil works great on plywood used for concrete forms

boiled linseed oil is supposed to be good for both wood and steel

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
is this a trick question? who wouldn't want a handy dandy surefire preservative for wood

used motor oil works great on plywood used for concrete forms

boiled linseed oil is supposed to be good for both wood and steel
yes it is a trick question sort of. basically any used oil cut with a little diesel but the secret ingredient is add a gallon or more of non fiber roof coating to the mix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom