Stocking up powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now you guys have me worried, guess I better stock up

No disrespect, but that's exactly the attitude that leads to these shortages. It's a positive feedback situation that leads to an every man for himself attitude.

Problem is I don't know if I should give in due to the frustration that I know there will be lots of jackholes who do panic buy everything, or If I should stick to what I did through the last drought.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No disrespect, but that's exactly the attitude that leads to these shortages. It's a positive feedback situation that leads to an every man for himself attitude.

Problem is I don't know if I should give in due to the frustration that I know there will be lots of jackholes who do panic buy everything, or If I should stick to what I did through the last drought.

You may be onto something but what is the best strategy really? You can't predict the future. You can't control other people. You can't expect other people to act rationally. All you can do is manage YOUR stash.

okiearmory

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not panic buying either. With my Dillon 650 we reload a LOT of ammo between 4 different guys that shoot. Of the 48# I bought most of it is pistol powders. It has been hard to find pistol powder locally for me for quit some time. I only needed about 25-30# but if I ordered 48# I got free shipping and no hazmat fee. After I see what all we are keeping I will be posting what is left on OSA for sale. I have an FFL and bought it wholesale and will be marking it up probably $5 per pound. I was just glad to finally see some powder in stock.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may be onto something but what is the best strategy really? You can't predict the future. You can't control other people. You can't expect other people to act rationally. All you can do is manage YOUR stash.

Trust me, I know. And I can't fault people for building up their stash, especially when it is widely available. And the only way it works is if everyone agrees to be rational and not freak out and buy up everything. But as soon as it does start, all hell breaks loose. And people will invariably start it. So yeah.

I remember when primers were like gold. So now, I just have a strategy that when I get halfway through a box of 100, I buy 100 or 200 more. I build my stash without gobbling up every one in sight. I did the same thing with powder. If I found a pound of something I wanted, I'd get it. But I just couldn't stomach the idea of buying it all up for myself when I knew how hard it was for me to find in the first place and knowing there might be someone else out there wanting it just as bad.

For any kind of bench/precision shooting, I know people like to get good quantities of a single lot, so that's a trickier one to manage sometimes.

brown_one2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try and build up my supply without a mass purchase. I stop in at jerrys every couple of weeks and get some powder or primers. I usually alternate each trip. He has always had what I needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom