Stolen gun? Eh, I'll get around to reporting it when I get home from work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess if someone had immediately used it in a crime it would have been a good idea
How would the person from whom it was stolen know whether it was or not?

OKBassin is most likely right. I doubt the cops would do anything other than get it in a database in a few days. They ain't gonna be going out in search of it. Trust me on this, I recently recovered some stolen property myself and not one damn thing came of the theft.
:pissed:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So we don't have a right to presume our property won't get stolen? We have a responsibility to keep it away from thieves, beyond locked doors, that is?

I mean, if it's in my garage, inside my car, is that ok? Do the doors need to be locked then? Like, if they break into a window in my garage, then into my locked car, am I not to blame then? Or am I only to blame if they break into my locked truck sitting outside? What if I forgot to set the alarms? Damn... that flashing alarm light would have been an additional warning to the criminal, wouldn't it??

What about the gun I leave on my shelf next to my recliner in the living room? If they break in my back door and take it, am I to blame? How about if I forgot to set my alarm that night when I went to bed, or if I got up at 0130 to take the new puppy out to relieve herself and forget to reset the alarm when I come back in? Am I at fault then for leaving a gun out in my living room and not having it properly behind locked doors AND my alarm system?

Or... what about the one on my computer desk? Next to my front door in a drawer? How about the one inside my nightstand? Or the one sitting on TOP of my nightstand? I mean... if someone gets through my locked doors, past my alarm system and then happens to sneak into my bedroom without waking me, they could just GRAB that damned gun sitting on my nightstand, loaded, NO MANUAL SAFETY (OH MY GOD!) and just shoot us all right there. Would that be my fault, too? Or... what about the locked and loaded AR-15 AND 12g pump sitting in the corner right next to my bed?

Damn... should I be putting ALL of these guns in my SAFE every night, so that I can feel I've done "enough" to keep them out of the hands of criminals? I mean, apparently it's not enough to assume that having my property (just a TOOL, right???) inside my locked car is enough, right? I mean... how many layers of security do we expect or need before we are no longer to blame for someone stealing our ****?

I'm just curious...

How long should a woman's skirt be before she's no longer to blame for being raped?

How much cash should one person be allowed to carry on their person before it's considered "too tempting" to criminals? Or how many gold rings or chains should they be allowed to wear before the temptation is just too hard to resist? Shouldn't they bear some kind of responsibility for not protecting criminals from that? Or how long a fur coat should a woman be allowed to wear?

Seriously...

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL The level of dumbassery just sky rocketed. One of the first things I learned in the Army was to secure your ****. Some of you could have learned a thing or two from military service. Ya leave something out and it gets stolen, ya its your fault for being a dumbass.
<------ SMH at the level of idiocy on OSA

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So in your estimation, leaving something in a vehicle, with locked doors, an alarm (a 2-way paging alarm with SMS and app and email alerts in my particular case) and possibly even in an alarmed garage - still equates to unsecured **** and leaving something out?

Just a clarification.

I really want to know your opinion on the girl's skirt length, though. And where she goes late at night. And if she's alone. And all that jazz. I mean, having learned all that military "responsibility", you have to have an opinion on THAT, right???

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How would the person from whom it was stolen know whether it was or not?

OKBassin is most likely right. I doubt the cops would do anything other than get it in a database in a few days. They ain't gonna be going out in search of it. Trust me on this, I recently recovered some stolen property myself and not one damn thing came of the theft.
:pissed:

I will give congratulations to the Osage and Kay county sheriffs office. When my house was broken into and a large amount of firearms were stolen, they took prints, and later in the week when scouring pawn shops and flea markets, found fliers from those agencies posted around listing model snd S/N.
None have ever been recovered.

In the same theme, I had a thousand dollars or so of ATV racing tires stolen. I got a tip from a disgruntled ex wife of the thief that turned out to be true. The Osage County detective told me they wanted him for bigger issues and dropped me like a hot rock. They did eventually get the guy for kidnapping and spousal abuse with him drawing lots of years behind bars, but I never got a chance to get him for my theft.
No chance for a civil suit either. He owned nothing and was in debt.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd report it as soon as I noticed it was gone. When I was in high school somebody broke into my truck in the parking lot and stole my stereo. I called the police the moment I saw what had happened. The cop didnt care much and made a report. Needless to say I never got my stereo back. About a year later there was a guy with the exact same model of cd player that I had a JVC, well I told him mine had been stolen out of my truck and he started shaking and stuttering saying he got it from so and so, yeah right.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So in your estimation, leaving something in a vehicle, with locked doors, an alarm (a 2-way paging alarm with SMS and app and email alerts in my particular case) and possibly even in an alarmed garage - still equates to unsecured **** and leaving something out?

Just a clarification.

I really want to know your opinion on the girl's skirt length, though. And where she goes late at night. And if she's alone. And all that jazz. I mean, having learned all that military "responsibility", you have to have an opinion on THAT, right???

I’ll chime in from personal experience. Years ago, I had a gun stolen from my center console of my locked truck in my driveway in Safe Suburbia USA.

A couple years ago my company brought in a consulting firm called Partners in Leadership. They specialize in accountability training. The whole premise is to change behavior within an organization that when something goes wrong, there is something everyone could have done differently to achieve a better outcome. This is not to blame or get anyone in trouble it’s for everyone to take accountability and challenge them to improve their part to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I was pissed and thought I had done my part and that the thief was to blame, and he was. Then I had an “ah ha moment “ What could I have done differently in this situation that would have prevented it and will help to prevent this from happening again. I took a little time and money and installed a quick action gunsafe in my console.

Same with your rape victim, of course it’s not her fault but there may be several things she could have done differently or could do differently to limit the chance of that happening.

There is a HUGE difference in victim blaming and learning from the situation to learn to better protect ourselves.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom