stolen guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy is a shop manager here in Norman. If something hits, the police come and take it to lockup. Shop is out of luck. Almost all shops today are online file, so the serial numbers hit pretty quick. In the past, LE would stop by the shop and have to check the books, not any more.
If you can't get something back, call the pawn brokers association. Next would the be the TV station.
Does property owner not have to pay the pawn shop what they gave for it, if they want the item back? I was told that I had to pay the pawn shop to get my property back, and the D.A. would ask for restitution to me for my property.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does property owner not have to pay the pawn shop what they gave for it, if they want the item back? I was told that I had to pay the pawn shop to get my property back, and the D.A. would ask for restitution to me for my property.
The perpetrator has to repay, not you. It's your stuff SOMEONE ELSE stole from you. I can't imagine having to pay for my own stuff. That's when a call to the state AG's office would be appropriate, since he is the boss of the DA.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The perpetrator has to repay, not you. It's your stuff SOMEONE ELSE stole from you. I can't imagine having to pay for my own stuff. That's when a call to the state AG's office would be appropriate, since he is the boss of the DA.
Oh I think its crap, but I was told to get the law passed that made it a felony to "falsely declare ownership to a pawn shop" the owner has to pay what the pawn shop gave for it. Then when charges are filed the D.A. will also seek restitution.
It is bullchit, but that is how it is, a call to the A.G. office won't change that.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I think its crap, but I was told to get the law passed that made it a felony to "falsely declare ownership to a pawn shop" the owner has to pay what the pawn shop gave for it. Then when charges are filed the D.A. will also seek restitution.
It is bullchit, but that is how it is, a call to the A.G. office won't change that.
You may be right. I only know what my buddy tells me.
I'll check with him tomorrow (if I remember, lol).

single

Marksman
Reaction score
the laws don't need to be change. They (LE) need to enforce the laws on the books. I've personally seen several instances of them not enforcing laws due to officer discretion. Moving offenses are the worst in this state. If you allow some, but not others, you're not enforcing the law. Heck, half the police don't know the laws they're supposed to enforce.

And here I thought we were talking about laws regarding pawn shops and stolen guns. My bad.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fencing involves selling goods you know are stolen. In general--not just pawn shops, but across any kind of transaction, including real estate and negotiable instruments/commercial paper--a holder "in good faith" is protected against a fraud upstream from him (negotiable instruments add that it must have been purchased for value; the term is "holder in due course"). Without such protections, a piece of property (real, personal, or negotiable instrument) could change hands a dozen times before it's finally detected, leaving a perfectly innocent person holding the bag. It sucks for the rightful owner, but it's almost a necessary condition for commerce to proceed--imagine if you had to do a title search for literally everything you acquired to make sure you'd actually get to keep it.

That said, you shouldn't have to pay the retail value for the item(s) in question, just the pawnbroker's actual outlay--just enough to make him whole for his loss. And you might be able to put the squeeze on him (or have law enforcement do it) as well: he's required to make "reasonable inquiry to ascertain that the person from whom such property was bought or received had the legal right to sell or deliver it...." 21 O.S. 1719 (B). Probably not much help for most guns, though if it's a one-of-a-kind Walker Colt or somesuch--something that would inherently raise eyebrows--yeah, he ought to be making damned sure of its provenance.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.crimeseen.com/content/s...m=email&utm_campaign=Several-Long-Guns-Stolen

Lost three long guns recently. Link is to a video clip of the dirtbag walking by the house before he pulled the electric meter off. Lost a Sig AR with FDE Troy FFHG and Vortex Strike Eagle, Ruger Ranch 300blk with a Redfield and a Savage Axis in .243. Please let me, Deerslayer or OCPD know if he looks familiar. This happened over by I-44 and Kelley area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom