Stoops retired.!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bob had nothing to do with the national title, he was just in the right place at the right time.
The proof is, it never happened again during his tenure.
I think you're partially right, Stoops had a slew of good assistant coaches under him in those early years: Mike Leach, Chuck Long, Mark Mangino, Bo Pelini, Brent Venables, Kevin Sumlin, Kevin Wilson, etc. and they were willing to gamble a bit and offer up the unexpected.

When they left and it was the Milquetoast Stoops duo of Bob n Mike, they didn't fare as well...

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about all the OTHER national titles that he did not win?
Exactly 2 more coaches won more titles than Bob while he was at OU. I'd rather lose the big game than never make it there. How many did your hero John Blake win? I'm not arguing that Bob is the greatest of all time or even the greatest of his era but he was a really good coach. He certainly turned OU around and made them a perennial contender after sucking for a decade. His resume speaks for itself. However, there are plenty of gomers and homers out there who think OU should win it all every year or just envious that their own team never has or never will win it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly 2 more coaches won more titles than Bob while he was at OU. I'd rather lose the big game than never make it there. How many did your hero John Blake win? I'm not arguing that Bob is the greatest of all time or even the greatest of his era but he was a really good coach. He certainly turned OU around and made them a perennial contender after sucking for a decade. His resume speaks for itself. However, there are plenty of gomers and homers out there who think OU should win it all every year or just envious that their own team never has or never will win it.
I never liked Blake either.
I do expect more from a team that always is ranked top 5. Why not? Live up to your expectations or get out. I think the new change will be a good thing though.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Let me help you out here:

10 Big 12 titles
1 National Championship
Winningest coach in OU football history
18 consecutive bowl berths

In 18 years. Drops mike....

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when i was much younger there were only 2 games the ou coach had to win. texas and nebraska. the thanksgiving day nebraska game was tradition at it's finest. i was playing down the street when one saturday afternoon i heard my dad yell, "run you s.o.b., run!" the game was the notre dame streak breaker.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never liked Blake either.
I do expect more from a team that always is ranked top 5. Why not? Live up to your expectations or get out. I think the new change will be a good thing though.
Well dang, you don't like the guy that had nothing to do with the national title or the guy that built the national title team. I guess you don't like anyone at OU.

Is that because you can't stand watching these coaches that suck so bad continue to own osu year after year? Does the fact that OU lost so many games that osu will never have an opportunity to play in just get your dang panties in a wad?

86-18-7 Heck, Bob only went 13-4 against them during osu's greatest era of football ever. Maybe he did suck. I get how that would make you irrational and pissy about what goes on at the other school. It's ok, we understand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom