Stop leaving guns in cars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We all do what we gotta do and what we feel is right/appropriate for the situation.

Personally, I just take offense at people telling me I am the one "at fault" if someone steals my property no matter how many steps/layers of protection I employ for it.

I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it - if my property is locked up or hidden from view on my property, it is NOT your property to steal, and if you do, I am not responsible for what you do you with it. My weedeater or chainsaw sitting on my back porch behind my privacy fence (which is padlocked and had BEWARE OF DOG signs) should be as safe as if it is in my shed - which is also padlocked. My gun is the same way. Sitting on the shelf next to my recliner - it's in my house, which is usually locked. And alarmed. But if someone breaks in or goes past my barriers and steals any of these items, they are no longer in my possession and I am NOT liable for what is done with them.

My 5 gallon can of gasoline for my generator and lawnmower sits on the back porch - behind previously-mentioned locked privacy fence. If someone steals that gas and leaves it out for their kid to drink - is that my fault? F*** NO!

And I won't be guilted into accepting responsibility or shame for it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good old butt hurt here and I’m glad that it’s ruffled some feathers. You can call me names or tell me to mind my own business, I don’t have a problem with that.

I personally know someone always stored a handgun within reach inside of his vehicles. He had multiple guns stolen out of his vehicles on different occasions and he’s as conscientious about vehicle and home security as GTG and TR. Once it happened at a dealership while his car was being serviced and the other in a gated neighborhood when the garage door was mistakenly left open overnight. Luckily at least one of the guns was recovered during a domestic disturbance call at the residence of a felon that was assaulting his girlfriend. I think that last occasion finally changed his opinion on leaving guns inside his vehicles.

I have a friend that was dragged off her front porch, a gun shoved in her face while the thug tried to steal her purse. When she screamed her husband ran out to see that was happening and a second assailant shoved a gun in his face. Luckily, they were only after her purse which she gave up. Turns out these thugs and a few of their close buddies spent several weeks robbing other individuals during the Christmas Holiday season. I have no idea where their guns came from but I’d assume they were stolen, too.

Guns get stolen out of vehicles. It’s a fact. And those are used in crimes against our fellow citizens. People carelessly and recklessly leave firearms stored in the door pockets, consoles and glove compartments everyday and leave them there 24/7/365. We forget to lock the doors, leave a window down or whatever else and someone comes along a steals our property. Or perhaps a child locates the firearm and shoots a parent or sibling, it happens. But why on earth do we think that helping to arm criminals isn’t our problem as responsible guns owners?

There currently isn’t much danger of civil liability in the case of the owner who’s property is stolen an used to commit a violent crime. I have to wonder how long that will last given the political climate. Or how you explain to a child that they killed a family member or friend because they found a gun that wasn’t properly stored.

Bottom line is that by not storing firearms inside a vehicle that isn’t under our control, other than temporarily when circumstances dictate that we disarm, is low hanging fruit that doesn’t require expensive training or costly hardware. It’s just a change of routine and it’s really no different than following the other rules of firearms safety. It doesn’t violate your rights, but it does demonstrate your ability to responsibly exercise your rights.

That’s my 2 cents.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good old butt hurt here and I’m glad that it’s ruffled some feathers. You can call me names or tell me to mind my own business, I don’t have a problem with that.

I personally know someone always stored a handgun within reach inside of his vehicles. He had multiple guns stolen out of his vehicles on different occasions and he’s as conscientious about vehicle and home security as GTG and TR. Once it happened at a dealership while his car was being serviced and the other in a gated neighborhood when the garage door was mistakenly left open overnight. Luckily at least one of the guns was recovered during a domestic disturbance call at the residence of a felon that was assaulting his girlfriend. I think that last occasion finally changed his opinion on leaving guns inside his vehicles.

I have a friend that was dragged off her front porch, a gun shoved in her face while the thug tried to steal her purse. When she screamed her husband ran out to see that was happening and a second assailant shoved a gun in his face. Luckily, they were only after her purse which she gave up. Turns out these thugs and a few of their close buddies spent several weeks robbing other individuals during the Christmas Holiday season. I have no idea where their guns came from but I’d assume they were stolen, too.

Guns get stolen out of vehicles. It’s a fact. And those are used in crimes against our fellow citizens. People carelessly and recklessly leave firearms stored in the door pockets, consoles and glove compartments everyday and leave them there 24/7/365. We forget to lock the doors, leave a window down or whatever else and someone comes along a steals our property. Or perhaps a child locates the firearm and shoots a parent or sibling, it happens. But why on earth do we think that helping to arm criminals isn’t our problem as responsible guns owners?

There currently isn’t much danger of civil liability in the case of the owner who’s property is stolen an used to commit a violent crime. I have to wonder how long that will last given the political climate. Or how you explain to a child that they killed a family member or friend because they found a gun that wasn’t properly stored.

Bottom line is that by not storing firearms inside a vehicle that isn’t under our control, other than temporarily when circumstances dictate that we disarm, is low hanging fruit that doesn’t require expensive training or costly hardware. It’s just a change of routine and it’s really no different than following the other rules of firearms safety. It doesn’t violate your rights, but it does demonstrate your ability to responsibly exercise your rights.

That’s my 2 cents.

Yup. Seems like you're one of those who would blame a woman for being raped by dressing too provocatively and 'asking for it'.

I'll say it again - if you break into my car or past ANY level of security to steal my property - IT. ISN'T. MY. FAULT.

You can accept responsibility for some scumbag thief's actions if you want - but don't you dare to to assign that responsibility to me.

Sorry dude. You're just flat wrong in this case.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not INB4 “bUt It’S nOt My FaUlT sOmEoNe BrOkE iNtO mY cAr, I’m JuSt A vIcTim. ThErEfOrE I tAkE nO rEsPoNsIbILiTy To PrOtEcT mY gUn BeYoNd LoCkInG mY cAr DoOr iN gOoD oLe MaYbErRy...”

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That’s my 2 cents.

I know a guy who bought his wife a Glock. She was an experienced shooter, and they're children were grown. One day the 24 year old son decides "today is the day", and takes his mother's gun. He blew his brains out with it.

The gun wasn't locked in a safe, there was no expectation that this would happen, the young man had been around guns all his life, she had no reason to worry about that gun.

Who's to blame for that? The wife? The son? The government for not making her keep her private property in the safe? The dad for buying the gun? The bullet manufacturer?

If the son had stolen her car keys and run headlong into traffic who's responsibility would it be?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, anyways I've said my piece, I'm out of this thread. None of us are going to change each others' minds, but I'd like to think we can disagree without belittling someone of a different belief or without hyperbole and vitriol, which are the hallmarks of the left. But it's really just a human trait.

Anyways, ya'll take care, I'm out.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The person who commits the act, any act, is the person responsible for the results of that act. It’s called accountability for one’s actions. Frankly, that concept is becoming lost. Remember the person who spilled hot coffee on themself and sued McDonalds for the coffee being too hot? Total BS.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must've logged into the DU, because some people sure know what's best for others...... of course we back these narratives with emotional anecdotes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom