Store vs Home FFL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only reason I can think of is a store has hours you can pick it up and a reputation. How hard will it be to catch the guy at home, and is there any chance he'll just never be there and you never get your gun? At least a store has an address that is staffed that you know can be served, and some assets if you should have to sue to get your gun.

I've used a guy a couple of times that builds and sells AR-15's, I think out of his garage. Bought one lower receiver from his stock, and ordered one firearm from an online dealer, I had a tracking number so I knew when it was delivered to him, and he texted me an hour or so later and said pick it up anytime that evening. Never had any problem with him, it's probably fine if you've used him or know someone who has.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So there's a home FFL thats .2 miles from my house. I found him on the Gunbroker list. I sent him a message out of the blue asking if he was still doing transfers and still at that address and he responded quickly. I think thats a good sign.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might see if he has feedback or a rating you can check out. But yeah, I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Home-based FFL here . . . also with a full-time job. When I first started I did a handful of transfers for folks, but it ultimately got to the point where I had to take time away from work to sign for or pickup packages. Wasn't really worth it since folks expect us to do the transfer for $10 or so. If I was home more or had regular hours I might consider doing more of them, but at the time the $10 wasn't worth having strangers in my home.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Home-based FFL here . . . also with a full-time job. When I first started I did a handful of transfers for folks, but it ultimately got to the point where I had to take time away from work to sign for or pickup packages. Wasn't really worth it since folks expect us to do the transfer for $10 or so. If I was home more or had regular hours I might consider doing more of them, but at the time the $10 wasn't worth having strangers in my home.

Sounds like something to do when you retire though.

On a side note, how hard is it to get your FFL?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom