Store vs Home FFL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an FFL about a quarter mile from my house who I have used a couple times. He has a regular job and we sometimes did a little juggling to arrange a meet-up time, but never any true problems.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty judgemental of you. Did you get your item? Was it in the same condition as if you bought it from a b&m? Sorry a home makes you uncomfortable. And yes, they do have overhead, its called a family. That "professional setting" just means you pay a higher price for the same item/service.
Tanis, as a consumer I reserve the right to my opinion of any retail sales person or company. And I reserve the right to my opinion of many of your comments that sound so stupid.
I'd suggest you put me on ignore, Skippy.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put it this way, if I know you more than an internet avatar on a gun forum and know your home based business is a professional setting, I'll use you. I drove to Bixby from Tuttle to do business with this individual because he had a super good sale on what I was looking for and a "friend" (spoken losely).
I almost walked out before I signed anything.

Yikes . . .

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any reason to not use a "home" FFL for a transfer if they are the closest to you and the cheapest?

Is there any reason a storefront type FFL is a better choice?

It is going to depend on that specific home FFL. Most are doing it on a part tube basis and have a life outside of that FFL. For some, they have a full time job, and the part-time FFL has divided attention in their off hours. Your package might get delayed because they are not home to accept it. When it happens on a Friday, and you can’t get your firearm until Monday or Tuesday evening, you might wish you had paid the extra $5 brick and mortar (BM) FFL charges.

I think it is very important to ask questions about their policy regardless of BM or home based FFLs

Will they accept a firearm from a non-FFL? Some will only accept from a FFL although the regulations allow them to accept from non-FFLs.
Will they transfer more than one item per week? I had one tell me he would only transfer one handgun per week to prevent him having to file the additional form.
Is their fee per item, per 4473, per incoming shipment, $20 first item and $10 subsequent, or? you need to figure this out before you order 10 stripped lowers and get a surprise.
Will they give you a copy if the FFL? Some will done won’t. It is a great convenience to me if they will. I don’t have to monkey around with getting them to email it to the buyer. I carry a copy when I travel out if state in case I find an item to buy that has to be shipped back.
How soon do they process items received and when will they allow me to pick it up? I talked to one home FFL that processes the evening of arrival and allow pickup the next evening. I’m impatient and would like to have the gun the same day it is received. My FFL doesn’t mind me dropping by to pickup an item that I got delivery confirmation on.
Will they ship your Firearms? And for what fee? Price shipping a handgun to a FFL yourself. It is much cheaper to uses a friendly FFL that charges a small fee on top of what it costs him to ship.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I talked to the "local" FFL here...he asked for an email address to send a copy of his FFL to so thats a good thing. He says he doesnt have them dropped off at his house, he always picks them up so thats a good thing too. I'm in no huge rush and will have two weeks off starting on Friday so I will be available whenever he is. The rifle will be on its way Thursday so hopefully it shows before Christmas maybe?

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a brick and mortar, Shawnee doesn't offer a lot.. There was BDC which at the time was $25, then 1 day THE women who rang me up charged me $50 !! Because they had that gun in stock and I should have bought it from them.. I bet they lost biz with all the buddies I told.. Been using B&M since and it's $25..

"lott" :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom