Storing airguns in garage without rust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a collection going and right now some in cases and some just lying around. I like to store them in the garage for space savings in the house and it is more convenient to shoot them since my little range is right out the side garage door. However, I want a better way to store them. If I don't oil them at least once a month, some of them begin to get a but of surface rust which isn't surprising in warm damp air. Since I already own almost enough soft cases, I was originally going to just buy a few more and stick them on a shelf and call it good, until someone told me storing them in the garage in a case is even worse for moisture?

So now I am wondering if I really need to buy a dedicated airgun safe or cabinet that can be closed up with a dehumidifier, OR if soft cases are just fine. My hope was that an oiled gun going into a soft case would be better than just leaving them sitting out or hanging them out naked on a wall rack? I've spent a good dime on these in total, but none are fancy PCP's or wooden stocks, so minimal cost is a concern as well as convenient storage to shoot them. A wall rack looks very cool and THE MOST convenient option for shooting, but then they would still be out in the damp air.

Thoughts?

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're going to keep them in soft cases, use Bore Stores. I still recommend keeping them in some sort of enclosure that will minimize airflow and help you control moisture levels. Moisture control can then be maintained with a goldenrod or a rechargeable desiccant product..

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use a low temperature dehumidifier in your garage. They work down to 42 degrees F. A normal home unit only works down to about 65 degrees.
Great idea, so you mean to dehumidify the garage itself if I decide not to put them in an enclosure. I suppose I could use a rack at that point and leave them out. During the warmer months, I have a fan I keep running in there to circulate the air. I figured that would help keep moisture from settling but should I be not using the fan (question to everyone)?

I keep a boat in there so the fan helps towels and stuff dry faster; I figured it would help the guns too.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bore stores work and work well. Spray them down with 100% silicone spray once a year or so. I've yet to see a spec of rust on a few of my guns stored in them. My step father had all of his long guns in a metal locker in the garage. The washer and dryer is in this garage and has no outside vent. When he went into assisted living I found them out there and just knew they were going to be in terrible shape. He had them in bore stores and they were pristine.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bore stores work and work well. Spray them down with 100% silicone spray once a year or so. I've yet to see a spec of rust on a few of my guns stored in them. My step father had all of his long guns in a metal locker in the garage. The washer and dryer is in this garage and has no outside vent. When he went into assisted living I found them out there and just knew they were going to be in terrible shape. He had them in bore stores and they were pristine.
It is a bummer because I already bought so many soft cases. I guess the bore store would be for storage and the cases would be for transport, but i never transport the airguns LOL.
Junk refrigerator with a light bulb inside?
:drunk2:

EDIT: Actually any type of cabinet with a heat source inside should work.
___
I do have a large chest freezer that doesn't work...maybe that with a dehumidifier inside is an option...but wouldn't look very good LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom