Storing dry foods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a source for food grade buckets for a dollar each. 5 gallon and a gallon.
wal Mart. Bakery.
Every thing says use Mylar bags does anyone use those food sealers that have a roll of plastic ?

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a source for food grade buckets for a dollar each. 5 gallon and a gallon.
wal Mart. Bakery.
Every thing says use Mylar bags does anyone use those food sealers that have a roll of plastic ?

Those plastic bags are air permeable so not good for long term storage. It you want to store it for more than 12 to 18 months, mylar is the way to go.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
wal Mart. Bakery.
I use mylar bags and O2 absorbers (iron oxide packets) and seal the bags with and iron or a vacuum sealer. You can use hand warmers for expedient O2 absorbers - they are iron oxide and whatever carrier ingredient that's in them.

I'll throw an O2 absorber in when I seal my jerky, sausage, and whatnot in the vaccum seal bags. They last longer.
Sam's has the sealers and rolls of bag material.
Winco has mylar bags and O2 absorbers and you can get that all online now everywhere with the google machine. Mylar is best because it takes a lot to violate the seal...the vacuum bags are easy to perforate, but they are generally airtight for a long time if they aren't handled a lot. My rule of thumb is if I'm using it within a year or so, or it's going in the freezer, I'll use the vacuum bags. If it's going to be sitting a long time or dry goods, I use mylar.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use half gallon and gallon mason rimmed jars and have an attachment for my seal a meal thing that will pull a vacuum on it sealing the lid. Kinda like a jar of planters peanuts then.
Those gallon mason jars are seemingly impossible to find. I found the 1/2 gallon online at wallymart dot com, but wallymart is only acting as a middleman, they're shipped by "Rons Home and Hardware". Kind of pricey, but that's ok, I made the decision that I wanted them for the exact reason you stated, and I'm totally serious about longer term food storage. I ordered the jars a couple of days ago and the tracking shows it'll be here today Friday.

And just to emphasize what you said, I agree the mason jar lid attachments for the vacuum sealing, love mine.

I've made a note to search again for the 1/2 gallon and one gallon mason jars starting in March of next year, including lids/flats. Stuff sells out so quickly and stock is depleted in a short time.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those gallon mason jars are seemingly impossible to find. I found the 1/2 gallon online at wallymart dot com, but wallymart is only acting as a middleman, they're shipped by "Rons Home and Hardware". Kind of pricey, but that's ok, I made the decision that I wanted them for the exact reason you stated, and I'm totally serious about longer term food storage. I ordered the jars a couple of days ago and the tracking shows it'll be here today Friday.

And just to emphasize what you said, I agree the mason jar lid attachments for the vacuum sealing, love mine.

I've made a note to search again for the 1/2 gallon and one gallon mason jars starting in March of next year, including lids/flats. Stuff sells out so quickly and stock is depleted in a short time.
Most of mine are older. They used to have mustard, apple juice pickles vinegar ect that came in them before everything went to plastic jugs. A few even had a wire carry bail. I found some of mine in old root sellers. bottle dumps auctions flea markets antique dealers and old houses all good places to look. Sometimes you can still find products that come in them but no days its rare. Or you can just buy the like you did but it cost more is all. Half gallon masons are easier to find. I have more than I need of those.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those plastic bags are air permeable so not good for long term storage. It you want to store it for more than 12 to 18 months, mylar is the way to go.
Ours pulls a vacuum on them. It’s a food sealer and it heats both ends of the plastic. It comes in rolls.
Although it’s almost as cheap to buy the Mylar bags with the oxygen removers than the oxygen removers by themselves.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ours pulls a vacuum on them. It’s a food sealer and it heats both ends of the plastic. It comes in rolls.
Although it’s almost as cheap to buy the Mylar bags with the oxygen removers than the oxygen removers by themselves.

Yep. We had the same thing when we first started out. The mylar with O2 absorbers are a much better way to go. I had too many of those plastic bags lose the vacuum over time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom