Strange aircraft(?) flying over Bartlesville.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, this may sound a bit odd, but the behavior of this line of airborne... somethings... struck me as off. Different. Odd. I don't know.

Was sitting on my back porch enjoying a single malt with a friend (he was having rum & coke) when I spotted something flying fairly low a little ways east of my house, heading from SE to NW. So at first, this large orange-ish light reminded me of one of those Chinese floating lantern things. You know, it was that color, and it was large and bright - but it was moving too fast, not like a jet, but like a plane would appear from a couple miles away. However, it had to have been much closer than that to have appeared that bright. And the color of the light (the temperature, for those who know what I mean) was all wrong. Not white, not red, it was very much a flame orange, and it was bright and large. And seemed to be shaped like a flame shooting upwards, just like those lanterns. It wasn't just round or a spot, it was kind of elongated vertically.

Anyways, I watched it, pointed it out to my friend before it disappeared behind some trees heading north of us.

About a minute later, 2 more came up along the same direction line, same color, but appeared to be farther off, I guess, they appeared more like regular round lights (not vertically elongated), but were still MUCH brighter than they should have been should they have been aircraft, and also the same orange-ish flamelike color. You know, most airplane 'running lights' (if that is what you call them) I have seen are red or whitish.

Another minute or so, 2 more. Then they continued to trickle in ones and rare pairs for maybe 10 minutes. Altogether, maybe 18-20 of them.

It's hard to describe what was 'wrong' about these... the color, yes, they almost struck me as a military type thing, all being vaguely along the same trajectory, but not a formation, not a follow-the-leader kind of pattern, they were too scattered and irregular, like I said, sometimes in pairs, sometimes more than a minute between.

My friend agreed, the lights were wrong from any plane or chopper I'd ever seen - not the right color, WAY too bright to have been as far as they had to be for us to hear zero engine noise. I almost thought of drones, but for small drones those would have to be some hellacious lights, and they were obviously all the same type. Not like a model aircraft club or something where you might see people flying their personal models along the same trajectory, you'd expect all of those to be different models and speeds, etc.

I don't expect I'll ever know what it was, just kinda weird. Odd behavior, something struck us both as not quite right, but it's difficult to articulate what was particularly 'wrong' about them.

Anyways...

Michael Armstrong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll have whatever single malt you were having...
any chance we were seeing the same thing?? Lol
Screenshot_20200601-221607.png

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elon Musk’s Starlink satellites maybe?
There used to be a phenomenon called an "Iridium flare" that happened when sunlight reflected off one of the satellites in the constellation of Iridium low-Earth orbit communications satellites. I never saw one, but they were supposed to be very bright, highly visible near dusk/dawn.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And both of you were drinking......right?:blush:

When I was a kid I witnessed something similar. Although the orange light trailed behind the object. Turned out it was a satellite reentry. It was seen in OK and KS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom