Strange Stuff On Email Account

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer to use basic HTML to receive my emails, and two of my accounts are set up that way. The third, my ConstitutionCowboy email keeps coming up with the "standard" view, so I click on the "view in HTML" link at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes if I'm a bit slow at the clicking it comes up "standard" anyway and asks if I want to continue to HTML. When I do continue, there is a line stating that the account is open in another location and cites my computer's IP address.

Lately, the "IP" address that pops up is a 32 character long thinigie.

Yesterday it was 2607:fb90:d985:73d4:581e:708d:f7d8:6ade

Today it is 2607:fb90:d985:73d4:3cc1:df5e:cab5:5675

What are these and why would it change from one day to the next? Have I been hacked? Am I being spied upon? Anyone have a clue to what I am seeing?

Woody

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know a lot, but if it's a phone I would think - your house, donut store down the street, across town at lowes those numbers would change with your location. At home on desktop they should never change.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, as davek said, those are IPv6 addresses.

To elaborate, you are used to seeing IPv4 addresses, like 63.149.183.75

There is a finite number of those addresses, and they are running out of numbers. So IPv6 opens up a much larger range of addresses. Eventually, everything will be IPv6.

FWIW, IPv4 addresses usually change periodically as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom