Strange Winchester model 62

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was walking around an out of state gun show last week when I noticed a man carrying a Winchester model 62. I know what a 62 looks like...I have owned several and like the guns. I asked to see his model 62. It was then that things got stranger and more stranger. He said that is was a very rare model 68! He wanted $850 for it. It was then that I went on high alert. I knew that there is no such animal as a Winchester model 68 that looked exactly like a 62. I looked for other clues and much to my surprise the barrel was marked Winchester model 68! Is it possible that a barrel off of a model 68 single shot could have been put on a model 62 receiver?? I did not hang around for a long explanation. It was plain that he was ready to argue and I wasn't.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of difference in a 68 and a 62 or 62a. 62a has a lot of variations from the standard 62 but a 68 and 62 are day an night. I have a buddy that collects winchesters and I know he has a few 62 and 62a's and I think a couple 68's. Regardless, he knows a ton about them.
Do you have any additional information about the action, or receiver? Stuff that sticks out.
I tend to keep walking when someone is selling a unicorn at a gun show.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it possible that a barrel off of a model 68 single shot could have been put on a model 62 receiver??
A good gunsmith can do a lot of things, so that seems the most likely answer. There was a time that the big manufacturers would build a gun to order if you paid them enough, but I'm thinking the 62 and 68 are both too new to be a factory frankengun. Plus, I'm not sure what advantage you'd get from using a new 68 barrel on a new 62 action; if you had a 68 with a bad receiver and a 62 with a bad barrel, it might be worth the effort for a smith to match up the good parts, but I can't see asking Winchester to mix parts like that.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 68. That model is a single shot with a peep sight, just like the Model 67 otherwise. In fact, I'm pretty sure that those rear sights are interchangeable between the 67 and 68.

The 61 and 62 (and others) are becoming so collectable that there are a lot of unscrupulous people that will throw anything together to make a buck off of the uneducated.

Edited to add that I don't think it would be too difficult with a few basic machines to spin a 68 barrel on a 62.

Latest posts

Top Bottom