Strike anywhere matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not seen any good old fashioned ones in 30+ years. One of the brands, Ohio Blue Tip, was awesome.

Like some of you, I'd light them on my jeans, my zipper, and use the the tip of my thumb to light them. That was quality, I don't care what the weinie heads who banned them clean. Those were real matches, not the crap today.

In fact, I used to make Stink Bombs out of them. I could silently ignite it and dang near clear the Junior High and High School classrooms and such.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slot the stick end put in tiny paper fins. Mini short range hand toss ICBM ☄

Put a straight pin in the other end and you have a home-made dart. A friend threw one sidearm once and lodged the dart in my cheek. I didn't feel any pain from the dart because the pain from his hand hitting my cheek was worse.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use to cut the white tip off the old matches, fill up old pill bottles with them, poke a hole in the top to light it and have some pretty good smoke bombs.
We used to reverse the mechanism in a retractable ballpoint pen and used the matches for a stink bomb. It was quite ingenious. If you used a metal pen, it was reusable. If you used a plastic pen it smelled worse.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put a straight pin in the other end and you have a home-made dart. A friend threw one sidearm once and lodged the dart in my cheek. I didn't feel any pain from the dart because the pain from his hand hitting my cheek was worse.
Ha! Dad related a similar story. :D

While the teacher was writing on the blackboard, Dad turned around and threw one of those at the back wall. His throw was a little low, and the dart hit a kid in the forehead and stuck (he said it was one of the few times that particular kid was actually studying), and the kid let out a string of cusswords.

The teacher didn't even turn around from the blackboard, just called my Dad to come up there... :D
___

Latest posts

Top Bottom