Stripped screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it isn't a truck gun. I felt horrible until you said that the screws were known to be soft, although it is still my fault. I have about 8 different flat head tips, but I probably need to invest in what HiredHand suggested.
I won't try any drilling I don't have the experience for that.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
STOP!! If the screw slot is completely stripped, use a center drill in a drill press with a cross slide vise to start a small drill hole. Make sure it is centered. Then use a LEFT hand drill bit, probably a #32 or smaller. The drill bit will probably catch the screw and it will come out. If not, use the corresponding screw extractor. Patience is the key......

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^This right here. I've seen this process done and patience is the watch word.

I've also heard people call the screw extractor an "easy out." But it didn't look easy to me (maybe that one was really stuck).

As was mentioned further up in the thread, I've read that the Uberti rifles have the reputation for having softer metal or temper in the screws. I believe there's a vendor online that sells harder replacement screws. A google search might turn it up.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should be able to use a screw extractor set. Sell them at Lowes. I have a couple sets if you need to borrow them I'm close and will be going thru Norman this evening.

I had to use it with a set of RMR screws I got a lil over zelous with locktite on. Screws are trash but they are out.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good advice from SPDguns. The key to working with soft materials (brass, for example, but a good idea for soft steels as well) is to NEVER try to out-muscle the offending screw--if you do this, you will break it off. Instead, use vibration and good, steady, but low pressure. Take a screwdriver with a good blade and center it in the screw slot, then patiently tap the end of the screwdriver with a small hammer. Patience is the key, as you may have to tap for some time. The idea is to use vibration to loosen the screw (this is the princple behind the operation of all sorts of impact tools, including the hand impact set Dennis mentioned). Just tap, tap, tap, tap for several minutes, then start applying low but steady turning pressure to the screwdriver handle. If there is anything left of the screwdriver slot, this procedure will usually work. But again, don't try to out-muscle the screw--use plenty of vibration and low, slow but steady pressure.
If the above doesn't work, the LEFT-Handed drill bit idea mentioned by SPDguns is an excellent alternative method that will work on a screw slot that is really badly rounded out. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom