Strong weather this evening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little rain in the Southern part of Yukon, but my daughter down in Mustang says they got 90 MPH winds.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question for you experienced Okies. THose that have the in-ground concrete shelters in the yard next to their homes; how do you use those? You watch the news and see a 'nado warning or hear sirens and just go out side and sit in them? I assume you take a smalll portable radio and listen for the all-clear?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really depends on who you are i have know of people that keeps cots in them and will just go down and spend the night there and get up the next morning like nothing happen and the other will wait for a siren if one is close but yeah you need a portable radio, this one guy went to the extreme and installed eletricity, phone lines and water/sewer in his along with cots and a portable electric hot plate to cook on.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question for you experienced Okies. THose that have the in-ground concrete shelters in the yard next to their homes; how do you use those? You watch the news and see a 'nado warning or hear sirens and just go out side and sit in them? I assume you take a smalll portable radio and listen for the all-clear?

the news is usually pretty good at keeping track of when they touch down. Personally, if i hear it coming i'ma take cover. They sound like a train, so i've heard.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the news is usually pretty good at keeping track of when they touch down. Personally, if i hear it coming i'ma take cover. They sound like a train, so i've heard.
Depends on position and conditions. They certainly can sound like a train, but the last big one to hit Moore went right north of my house. As it was approaching it just sounded like just wind, kinda eerie. Once passed it sounded just EXACTLY like a train.

Had another pretty much direct hit (much much smaller) and it was just wind. I watched my neighbor's storage shed launch into my back yard. I was actually on my patio and it started getting kinda dicey so I moved inside my back door. A dove had flown up to me and took cover against my house about 2 feet from me. We hung out for a minute or so. Just as I got inside and turned the shed launched. No train sound at all, just a whole hella lotta wind.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, I'm a lifer and just sit on the porch with a beer and watch them. I've seen about 20 some odd tornadoes and only two have scared me. Both were in Moore.

My wifey made me put this in.

tornado shelter 7.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom