Stuck choke tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely corrosion around the base of the choke. About half of the threads on the choke and in the barrel are shiny. Some of the threads on the choke are a little rounded and slightly galled. The barrel is going to be fine and the choke is usable even though it will get replaced

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Darren - I admire you for staying with it. I finally gave up on my stuck chokes in the .410 tubes. I sent them to Briley for removal.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Darren - I admire you for staying with it. I finally gave up on my stuck chokes in the .410 tubes. I sent them to Briley for removal.
Aw heck Robert, you should have brought it over. I’d be happy to bend your vent rib! Luckily, this wasn’t a high end gun or it would have gone to the pros.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now it can be told! In 1998 I silver soldered a light modified choke into my competition Benelli M1. The rules stated that the shotgun barrel could be no more than 22" and the extension could not be more than 1" past the end of the barrel. The rules specifically stated screw in chokes were NOT barrel! My Benelli M1 had a 21" barrel, but I needed the extra inch to fit an extra shell into the mag tube. I found an ATF rulling that said if a flash hider was silver soldered to the barrel that the flash hider was considered part of the barrel. So I showed up to the world championship 3-gun match and the tech inspection guys said no way! I showed them a copy of the ruling and showed them it was silver soldered... They said good enough! But I doubt if I ever sell it that Kroil will loosen it😁

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aw heck Robert, you should have brought it over. I’d be happy to bend your vent rib! Luckily, this wasn’t a high end gun or it would have gone to the pros.
My chokes we’re stuck in the fitted tubes that insert into the 12g O/U barrels. I couldn’t get a good enough grip on the tubes even with a vice and rubber jaws. I was afraid I’d bend the tubes and I couldn’t do the spud thing because of the straight rifling in the tubes. I will say Briley’s service is top notch. They removed the chokes under “warranty”; only charged me $28 for return shipping / insurance. I had paid the same to ship to them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom