"Student dies after trying to enter wrong car: police"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Andrew Branca sometimes says, "awful but lawful".

The truly scary stuff about CCW.

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A University of Tampa student died after trying to get into the wrong car early Saturday morning, police said.

The student had been out with friends before taking an Uber home. According to the Tampa Police Department, after getting out of his Uber, the student tried to force his way into the vehicle of another man parked nearby. The driver shot the student in the chest, saying he feared for his life.

The student died at the scene.

In a campus-wide email, the University of Tampa said in part, “Our heartfelt condolences go out to the student’s family and friends, as well as all who were affected by this incident. The University values all members of the community and mourns this tragic loss.”

“It’s so scary and awful that happened,” said freshman student Erika Roberti. “That’s just so bad.”

“It just seems like something that would never happen, especially in this kind of city,” freshman Emily Ollendorff said. “It was very shocking to hear and kind of confusing. We obviously don’t know the full details about it.”

The shooter remained at the scene and is cooperating with detectives, the police department said. Any potential charges would be decided by the State Attorney’s office.

https://fox4kc.com/news/national/st...EXro85qvVaHnPqzsQxdqg6Jqz3mHKb_uzk-Mlz8hwvUl8

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, my dad in his 70's left walmart and walked up to what he thought was his vehicle. Same color, model and year.
His key opened the door but didn't operate the ignition.
As he kept trying to start it, some guy came up, opened the door and dragged him out to the asphalt.
They guy was middle aged and asked WTF.
Apparently dad had chosen the wrong vehicle with only the door key working.
In this day and time, he might have been shot as a car thief, but there weren't a lot of CC guns back then.
I'm wondering what the circumstances of the kid trying to get into the vehicle were. Was he violent thinking it was his vehicle?

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely not enough info to draw any firm conclusions. Although it smells fishy…

If you’re carrying a gun you shouldn’t immediately reach for it the moment you feel slightly threatened. Grow a pair and observe the situation, asses the treat, before ventilating a persons chest.

There was a video circulating recently where a dad shot his teen daughters ex boyfriend when he broke into the front door. I understand the kid forced entry, but he was a unarmed kid… a full grown man could’ve stood up to him and not immediately went John wick with the Glock

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely not enough info to draw any firm conclusions. Although it smells fishy…

If you’re carrying a gun you shouldn’t immediately reach for it the moment you feel slightly threatened. Grow a pair and observe the situation, asses the treat, before ventilating a persons chest.

There was a video circulating recently where a dad shot his teen daughters ex boyfriend when he broke into the front door. I understand the kid forced entry, but he was a unarmed kid… a full grown man could’ve stood up to him and not immediately went John wick with the Glock
I disagree about the ex boyfriend shooting. I may not/probably wouldn’t have acted as harshly, but I won’t judge the Dad for taking that action. I’m betting there was ALOT more to that story.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lethal force encounters generally develop very quickly and a person may have only a second or two to react before it's too late or, at a minimum, before you're behind the power curve.

It's easy to armchair quarterback a lot of these decisions after the fact. But when they're actually happening it's not quite so easy and seemingly non-threatening.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, my dad in his 70's left walmart and walked up to what he thought was his vehicle. Same color, model and year.
His key opened the door but didn't operate the ignition.
As he kept trying to start it, some guy came up, opened the door and dragged him out to the asphalt.
They guy was middle aged and asked WTF.
Apparently dad had chosen the wrong vehicle with only the door key working.
In this day and time, he might have been shot as a car thief, but there weren't a lot of CC guns back then.
I'm wondering what the circumstances of the kid trying to get into the vehicle were. Was he violent thinking it was his vehicle?
One time my wife got into some strangers car and when she found out it wasn't me she started screaming. I was in the next row and heard a woman scream I jumped out drew my 1911 and then seen her standing in the next lane looking scared and apologizing to the car owner. She has done this a couple of other times but not gaining entrance. Almost happened yesterday. I saw her walking past pushing a cart and blew the horn. This chit is getting dangerous!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree about the ex boyfriend shooting. I may not/probably wouldn’t have acted as harshly, but I won’t judge the Dad for taking that action. I’m betting there was ALOT more to that story.
I hear ya. Of course typical with the media the details and backstory are vague, on both stories.

I don’t judge that dad too hard really.. Like I said I understand the kid forced entry, I understand the moment he did that he forfeited his right to live. But still, the kid didn’t look that scary to me… stupid yes, but not scary.

If somebody is breaking into my house middle of night, yes I would unleash hell fire the moment the door opened lol… but if it’s mid day, it’s a known youngster with mental issues, I’m armed, kids not armed, etc etc I feel I would’ve given the kid more commands or maybe even just went hands on and whooped his ass haha. That dad fired VERY quickly

Latest posts

Top Bottom