Student stabbed multiple times at Luther schools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.news9.com/story/38902686...s-staff-to-undergo-training-to-carry-firearms

Aug 16, 2018 5:36 PM CDT

Luther teachers will soon be able to defend their classrooms against attackers. The Luther Public School Board adopted a policy this week that will allow some teachers and staff to carry guns.

However, teachers and staff were not armed during the stabbing incident because the policy is not yet active.

The new policy states security guard licensed individuals or reserve peace officers will be allowed to carry guns in the classroom.

Firearms must be carried in a holster or locked in a secure location.

The Luther Public Schools Superintendent Barry Gunn responded to the new policy on Thursday.

“We have a policy,” said Gunn. “We have adopted a policy that's going to let us send people to training, and see if it's something we want to continue with.”

Staff going through training will receive their conceal carry license. The superintendent will also have the authority to revoke any school personnel from carrying a firearm if needed.
When seconds count....

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt that a good guy with a gun could have stopped this unless he/she was right next to the bad guy. They might have been able to reduce the number of strikes from 11 to....?
Not saying there shouldn't be armed folks in school, I definitely support that.

An armed person could definitely have stopped them from stabbing multiple people, it just seems this was a personal target.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I agree that kids that age should not be able to play those games, the truth is visualized violence does not affect people in that way. Look at us, we grew up with the original Looney Tunes. There was plenty of violence in that. I also grew up watching Commando, American Ninja, and all sorts of violent movies (my father and I would go watch war movies in the theaters). I would say most of these kids were denied love and compassion therefor have no concept of showing that towards others. I would be willing to bet that the young boy grew up in a home where he saw violent reactions to perceived wrongs. IMO children do not act out because of failures of society, they act out because of failures of the parents.

I hear you and yeah, we played cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians and stuff where we pretended to shoot the bad guy. (Or good guy if you were playing the bad guy). But we were able to separate that out...it was just pretend stuff. Maybe kids these days can do the same with the video games? I really don’t know; I’m just speculating now, as I was above. I’m sure there’s a ton of research and reasonably good conclusions from it about this topic. But one thing: video games where it’s cool to steal cars and shoot cops just doesn’t seem healthy to me. I need to go look at some of the research on it, I imagine that it’s really a lot more complex than just the video games today and how they affect kids as compared to my day when we got to play like we were Roy Rogers or Billy the Kid with toy cap guns and goofy little cowboy hats. Undoubtedly the home environment has a major influence though. It’s an awful deep subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I think you missed my point. I was not trying to be funny. This is a horrible tragedy, but the MSM would have really gone bonkers if a gun was used. When a car/knife/or any other item is used to cause harm they blame the person (rightfully so). But lately when a gun is used they blame the gun, and not the person.

Very good point. You’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear you and yeah, we played cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians and stuff where we pretended to shoot the bad guy. (Or good guy if you were playing the bad guy). But we were able to separate that out...it was just pretend stuff.
We had to use creative thinking (imagination) to make it seem real though. Lol, some of our dogs probably thought their real name was Bullet or Rin-tin-tin. :D

Shooter video games require no thinking other than pushing buttons to kill something or somebody. And the new ones look so real it's almost scary.

And... we only got to play after chores were done (for the most part anyway). A concept of responsibility totally lost on most families these days.

Now you kids get off my lawn... :drunk2:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A point to consider... Just as there are millions of gun owners that never do anything wrong with firearms, there are also millions of video game players ( I don't know the proper term for them) that never do anything wrong related to gaming activities. I don't believe there is simple answer to today's social ills.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A point to consider... Just as there are millions of gun owners that never do anything wrong with firearms, there are also millions of video game players ( I don't know the proper term for them) that never do anything wrong related to gaming activities. I don't believe there is simple answer to today's social ills.
Good answer.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
#27: An excellent answer. I was too quick to jump on the video game thing; way too quick. I guess I'm scratching for an answer...parenting? A romance gone sour? Who knows...It's just a sad thing. Things really have changed since I was a kid.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A point to consider... I don't believe there is simple answer to today's social ills.
One simple answer is responsibility.
Maybe not the only answer but a really good place to start.
We were forced/taught to take responsibility for our choices/actions. If children are taught to take responsibility for their choices and are allowed/forced to pay the consequences for those choices/actions, they usually learn to make better choices. Not always, and some of us took longer than others to learn to make the better choices, but usually those better choices turn into a better/less troublesome life. Sure did for me!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the rest to God.

Latest posts

Top Bottom