Study finds a race gap in air pollution — whites largely cause it; blacks and Hispanics breathe it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cmon John! You need to learn to think like AOC, if you wanna reduce pollution, you need to have 5 cars! A car driven 2,000 miles a year pollutes less than a car driven 10,000 miles a year.

Bad, bad idea...

...I hate paying extra sales taxes to Oklahoma, or for that matter, any other state.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quote; "It's true that poverty is disproportionate to people of color." Why is that so? I am a person of color and have worked hard for what I have. Lighter color-we're all people of color. I've known some mighty good and intelligent Black folks and have worked beside them many years and they've done well for themselves. Matter of fact, many are smarter than me if you can believe that! On the other hand ?right hand, I've known some mighty stupid Whites who have gone along for the ride and never chipped in to pay their way who draw Earned Income Credit which I detest. If someone doesn't try then they deserve what they get but if they are trying and need a little help, then they deserve all the help they can get-until they reach their goal and then the help stops.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote; "It's true that poverty is disproportionate to people of color." Why is that so? I am a person of color and have worked hard for what I have. Lighter color-we're all people of color. I've known some mighty good and intelligent Black folks and have worked beside them many years and they've done well for themselves. Matter of fact, many are smarter than me if you can believe that! On the other hand ?right hand, I've known some mighty stupid Whites who have gone along for the ride and never chipped in to pay their way who draw Earned Income Credit which I detest. If someone doesn't try then they deserve what they get but if they are trying and need a little help, then they deserve all the help they can get-until they reach their goal and then the help stops.

There are lots of societal and cultural influences that lead to this. I could point to lots of "reasons". Yes, some people are in a more or less advantageous position. It's hard to work your way out when you're born to a broken home in an area stricken by poverty and the cultural cues an signals work against you from day 1. I get that... it doesn't mean you can't succeed, and it doesn't mean they are bad people - but it can be a struggle for sure. I grew up poor and white. My wife is a minority and grew up in a third world country, but she did have some opportunity that others in her position did not. She got to come here for college, but she worked hard for her grades and she had family that could cosign for a loan for her to come here for college. Where she's from, most cannot.

If you don't have supportive elements culturally and you are actually denigrated for trying to succeed, as happens in a lot of minority communities these days, yes, it will make it hard.

But that's no excuse not to try.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is correct, I grew up poor and had I remained at home I would be poor today. I lived in a shack, had multiple stepfathers, had no guidance whatsoever and left as soon as I could. So yes it is possible for virtually anyone to even marginally succeed if they have a desire to want more out of life than was given them growing up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom