Study: Tesla car battery production releases as much CO2 as 8 years of driving on gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If the Model 3 doesn't get mass produced at the prices they have quoted, then I will agree with you. The Model S has been produced at levels that have met demand. It's just not everyone who will pay that kind of money for a car.

BTW, I'm against all subsidies, even the ones I benefit from.

Tesla's will soon excluded from the federal tax credit. Most of the Model 3's will not be eligible for the tax credit. We'll see how they do when they have to competed on a more level playing field.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yet I've never seen one *****, moan or complaint about the oil industry subsidies here on OSA. Oh but that's different?

https://electrek.co/2016/11/25/tesla-subsidies-big-three-oil-industry/

But let's not let facts get in the way.

I am probably missing something here, but I know someone will be quick to point out my errors.

These state and federal "subsidies" for the most part are oil depletion allowances, basically the same thing as asset depreciation allowed to every business. But it's more fun to complain about "big oil".

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am probably missing something here, but I know someone will be quick to point out my errors.

These state and federal "subsidies" for the most part are oil depletion allowances, basically the same thing as asset depreciation allowed to every business. But it's more fun to complain about "big oil".
It could be argued that our military interventionism throughout the middle east is also an indirect subsidy in that it keeps the area politically stable (well, less unstable, anyway), and thus keeps the price of oil stable. If the various factions and warlords were to truly go at each other, the price of oil would become highly volatile.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I wasn't complaining about "big oil." Just pointing out hypocrisy.

Now in terms of the theory that this is all asset depreciation? Don't think so.

http://www.eli.org/sites/default/files/eli-pubs/d19_07.pdf

Starts on page 3 and goes into pretty good detail from pg 6-21.

The vast majority of subsidy dollars to fossil fuels can be attributed to just a handful of

tax breaks, such as the Foreign Tax Credit ($15.3 billion) and the Credit for Production

of Nonconventional Fuels ($14.1 billion). The largest of these, the Foreign Tax Credit,

applies to the overseas production of oil through an obscure provision of the Tax Code,

which allows energy companies to claim a tax credit for payments that would normally

receive less-beneficial tax treatment.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exxon was paying in the 70 billion range until oil crashed, I would like to see the cost of oil rise again mayb enor to 100 bucks a barrel but they need to get it back up to a reasonable level

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The point of my rather simple statement was not to generate an white paper on the history of the oil industry. Legislation related to oil, pharma, auto, whatever your favorite industry to attack may be, has always come as a result of congress selling their votes to special interest groups. It's pointless to throw rocks at legitimate businesses, when all they are doing is what congress has allowed.

When politics became nothing more than a team sport, way too many of us have chosen our favorite team, and have attempted to prove to the world just how smart we are, and anyone favoring the other team is far too stupid to even discuss the issue. And in reality, no one on this forum, or any other, has ever had their opinion changed by the prose of others.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The point of my rather simple statement was not to generate an white paper on the history of the oil industry. Legislation related to oil, pharma, auto, whatever your favorite industry to attack may be, has always come as a result of congress selling their votes to special interest groups. It's pointless to throw rocks at legitimate businesses, when all they are doing is what congress has allowed.

When politics became nothing more than a team sport, way too many of us have chosen our favorite team, and have attempted to prove to the world just how smart we are, and anyone favoring the other team is far too stupid to even discuss the issue. And in reality, no one on this forum, or any other, has ever had their opinion changed by the prose of others.
Wow! You really changed my mind on the subject!

Latest posts

Top Bottom