Stuff to do in Hawaii?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did a lot of SCUBA and I enjoyed an evening dinner cruise. I believe there is an Army museum by your hotel that was originally the location of a shore battery.

Swing by and check out Obama’s new house. It’s on the property where the original Magnum PI was filmed (Robins Nest). It’s on the NE side of the island on the coast road. I think the property sold for +/-$20,000,000. Not bad for someone who’s never held a real job.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did a lot of SCUBA and I enjoyed an evening dinner cruise. I believe there is an Army museum by your hotel that was originally the location of a shore battery.

Swing by and check out Obama’s new house. It’s on the property where the original Magnum PI was filmed (Robins Nest). It’s on the NE side of the island on the coast road. I think the property sold for +/-$20,000,000. Not bad for someone who’s never held a real job.
I’m not a huge fan of the guy, but he’s intelligent and capable of making some stuff happen. I know if I was making the big bucks I would want to buy Magnum PIs house. While he doesn’t seem to know how to be on the right side of the fence politically, he definitely seems to have some taste.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lot of experience in Hawaii but mostly on Kauai. Several pieces of advice. Make reservations and one of the nicer hotels and restaurants on the beach at Waikiki. THe Moanoa Surfrider is very popular with great views. It'd be a great night having great food and views in a fantastic setting. I'd probably do that at several different hotels on the sand at Waikiki.

If you rent a car I highly recommend you DO NOT rent a car that is convertible like a jeep or mustang. Also, if you do rent a car NEVER leave anything of value in it whether in the back seat or in the trunk. Tourist rental cars are a hot target for theives to steal your belongings.

May is a good time for Hawaii as it is still not family vacation time because kids are still in school on the mainland so it won't be as crowded. May it sort of the time where the swells (waves) start to switch to the South facing beaches (Waikiki) in HI. However, check the surf forecast and if there is a large swell hitting the north shore then head up to Waimea Bay and Pipelines to watch the surf. It's pretty incredible to watch the power of nature. Other than that, have fun and be careful.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do rent a car, consider using TURO - you rent from the owners of the car not an actual rental company. I was in Maui this past summer with the family and we saved a lot by going this route.…..saving a lot - (relative term) EVERYTHING is very expensive there. Even a box of cereal is 2-3X what it is here.
We spent a lot more than we planned on the trip, but had a great time. Maui was great and we would go again.

For what its worth and my opinion -
Luaus are over rated - tourist trap that was not anywhere near the $$$s
Snorkeling was great. We rented snorkels on the beach and drove a few miles off and snorkeled off another beach that several boats were pulled up to to bring other (paying) folks to snorkel.
Sea turtles are very cool. We saw several
Chickens are everywhere - even at outdoor dining areas
Golfing is great here - I have to take my kid’s word on that, I don’t golf

0FA656E4-3A15-4FEB-BC2C-4002C88B1274.jpeg9336990F-A39D-4908-BD21-360F6FDFE371.jpeg364D999E-E915-4C72-B8D2-5D53339E010D.jpeg4E1DBF1F-5A8C-427B-A684-E117F304D306.jpeg

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been to Hawaii a few times. Mostly Maui, plus Kauai, Hawaii, and Lanai. We haven't been to Oahu because... Well, we just haven't. We call it the forgotten island. Lol. One day when the girls are older we will go to Oahu you see The Arizona and Missouri, the punch bowl, and north shore. Enjoy!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom