Stupid Question of the week- .410 shotgun in a 45/70 lever gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So..... as I was browsing the forum tonight it occurred to me that they shoot a .410 shotgun shell in The Judge and a 45LC fits in the same gun. So, would a .410 shell work OK in a rifle designed for 45/70 Gov't? Specifically, a Henry lever action. Probably would need to load manually one at a time I expect.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So..... as I was browsing the forum tonight it occurred to me that they shoot a .410 shotgun shell in The Judge and a 45LC fits in the same gun. So, would a .410 shell work OK in a rifle designed for 45/70 Gov't? Specifically, a Henry lever action. Probably would need to load manually one at a time I expect.
One would have to look at the length of the chamber. A 2.5" .410 shell might fit where a 3" wouldn't? Just speculating here because I haven't looked up the total length of each shell to see if it would be compatible.
When a 2.5" shell opens, it's full length will be 1/4" longer with the crimp opening. If it won't fit the chamber when fired it will create a restriction at the Throat that will generate higher pressure.
I'd look closely at chamber dimensions before proceeding.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
And .410 is skinnier than a 4570, but I don't the exact difference so I'm sure there will be shell/extraction issues when it swells.

Latest posts

Top Bottom