Stupid tires.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with Cooper or Michelin. Wife just bought a new SUV with Hankook ,so we'll see...

My truck came with Generals and good so far.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a goodyear from walmart for my log splitter a couple of years ago. It hasn't gone 5 miles in that length of time. I was up there yesterday, and the tread is separated.
I'll take a pic tomorrow in the daylight. I gave up on Walmart and Sams tires. A little cheaper, but always have balance and tread separation problems.

c6b1aeb4bbcb82775bc86c6b3e0454f0.jpg

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up with continental's on my pickup. Doing pretty good so far, made a trip to Phoenix, LA, San Fran, Reno, then along Highway 50 to Denver, Guymon and then home. Got them at WM but they were ordered in, I think one of the things is if they special order them you will get a regular tire that any store would get. If it's in stock then you are getting something made to go to WM. And the continental's I got were cheaper than the equivalent General tire with a longer treadwear rating.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Warranties are only as good as the guy making the payout.

We used to buy tires from a local parts/service store, until one developed a bulge and started bouncing like crazy. Had lots of tread left, so I took it back to the store.

The guy measured tread on the bulge, which had naturally wore down prematurely, and told me it was out of warranty due to tread wear.

Congratulations, you just lost a customer.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beastep I drive a lot of miles. Between me and the wife we used to put over 140,000 miles a year on our cars.
That means trying every tire know to man.

Our corolla eats tires and runs the 14" tires.
It wears even across the tread on all 4 but it just removes the tread in about 25,000 miles tires will be down to or below the wear bars.
I tried firestone FR380 They got knots at 18 and 22,000 miles with 22,000 almost down to wear bars.
Kumo wore the tread off no seperation.
Viva from wally world knotted up.
Best tires from Pepboys $85 each 80,000 mile rated were down to wear bars at 22,000. they warrantied them out new set only cost mount and balance and disposal.

OK the last tires I used were the firestone FR380 as those back in the 90's would last 70,000 miles on the old pontiac sunbird.
I stuck 2 firestones on and 2 of the tried and true elcheapo douglas from walmart.. as stated above the Firestones gave up at 18,000 and 22,000.
Funny thing is the douglas were still at 1/2 tread . I wore the tread smooth off every douglas tire no knots or seperations.

Bridgestone dueller HL did not last me on my 6000 lb ford conversion van. tossed tread on 2 of them and wore out at less than 20,000 miles. JUNK in my book.

All my tires wear even across the tread. so it is not a problem with uneven wear.

Good year wranglers last me until all the tread is gone.. never had one come apart.
Blew every general tires tread off.. seperation issues and same goes for Micheline.
Now The old General XP2000 was not the same way.

Try the Douglas tires.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy and sell a quite a few used vehicles on the side as a hobby and usually always put new rubber on them when I get em in even tho I know I will usually sell it before I come close to wearing those new sets of tires out. Good tires really help sell a vehicle tho so its worth it to me. The only 2 vehicles I have ever bought brand new, late 80s, I still have. My lil S-10 Blazer 4x4 and a lifted K5 Blazer 4x4. They both just love their BFG A/T KOs, cant wear em out.

Ive driven to CA and back regularly since moving out here in 03', that's been a lot of miles and a lot of tires on several different SUVs. My current roadwarrior, a GMC SUV, is what I use on my road trips to CA, CO and all across the country on work related or just fun trips. On it Im sticking with just some good fat m&s tires all year round. Im running 275/40(f),45(r)-20s. When Discount Tire opened in BA I changed from my long time business with Robertsons and saved a ton of money on new tires. The SUV is 2x2/RWD but gets around great in winter on just some good m&s tires. The guy I bought it from had modded it to hell and was running performance/summer tires on it all year. Right now Im rocking some Yokohoma Parada Spec Xs that 2 years later still look great and still have tons of tread. They've been excellent tires especially in rain. On snow, fast driving, and long distance driving theyre pretty ok too. Out of 4 new tires bought over 2 years ago only one has failed to hold air steadily. After taking it to Discount Tire and having it remounted, rebalanced and checked out it hasn't lost any air since. Good tires.

2 RWD Japanese hotrod sports cars I have don't put that many miles put on them so I run fairly expensive 315/40-20 performance/summer tires in summer and they may get changed to m&s tires in the winter if I plan on driving them in winter. Over the years messing with the sports cars Ive ran Hankooks, Nittos, etc, and have had nothing but good luck with them.

The last times I ran Goodyear tires was on a 79' Trans Am 6.6l in the mid 80s and on a lowered hotrod pickup that I bought that came with a fat set of Firehawk Indys a few years ago. They rode really rough.

The ol ladys lil Honda CR-V SUV commuter wagon is her 3rd CR-V since 02'. She loves them. Her 5 yr old model is driving around right now on a set of Douglass XTRAC2 tires that she buys at WalMart. I think we bought a full set plus mounting and road hazard for way less than what 2 of mine cost. Theyre her 2nd set, 2 different cars, she loves them. Her car is FWD and she has had no problem getting around in the winter on them too being halfway decent m&s tires.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
our daughters little accord runs fine on the vivas or the douglas's. my truck gets bfg's cause of the towing tuty.
the boat is oversized for a single axle trailer and i have had the best life out of the douglas xtrac,go figure

Latest posts

Top Bottom