Sub Panel Advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm needing to add a sub panel to get free spade for adding more breakers. Additional space is needed for an automatic gate opener and generator plug. Also, maybe solar in the future. I have 2 free slots in main panel which is currently being used to power shop. Main service is 400amps and main house panel/breaker is 200amps. Shop is 100amps.

Primary question is by code can I place a sub panel below my main panel. Below is the best location for simplified connection as shown in pic. There's about 28" from bottom of main panel to the trim.

IMG-10252.jpg

Thanks for any advise on in advance. Drew

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
200amp for the shop would have been nice but already bought and ran #2 wire based on electricians recommendation for my needs in shop. 1 1/2 conduit was already ran from house to shop but no wire or panel.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, contact an electrician but I don’t think you’re allowed per code to have a panel that close to the ground. A quick Google search revealed an electrical panel cannot be any lower than 4’ from the ground and no more than 6’7”. Just measured mine and they’re both at 4’ to the bottom. Bought our house 2.5 years ago and the panel was filled with peanut breakers. The seller had an electrician come in and straighten it all out which meant adding a second 32 circuit panel about 8’ away on the same wall in the garage.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll plan to add the sub panel across from exist main panel on the other wall. I'm working with an electrician now who suggested to add the sub panel next to the existing panel or across. Another electrician suggested I could add it below.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll plan to add the sub panel across from exist main panel on the other wall. I'm working with an electrician now who suggested to add the sub panel next to the existing panel or across. Another electrician suggested I could add it below.
Why is adding it below something you want?

Latest posts

Top Bottom