Subsonic 115gr 9mm???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to load 100 rounds to test on paper tomorrow evening. If they make round holes where I expect to see them I run some through the can. Hopefully everything will go as planned, if not I'll keep loading them at normal velocity... Either way I've got enough ammo for awhile. I'll post up the results tomorrow night.

Thanks again for all of the help everyone!

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to load 100 rounds to test on paper tomorrow evening. If they make round holes where I expect to see them I run some through the can. Hopefully everything will go as planned, if not I'll keep loading them at normal velocity... Either way I've got enough ammo for awhile. I'll post up the results tomorrow night.

Thanks again for all of the help everyone!

Dangit! I wish I had my press mounted, I finally have some primers, powder and lead and was going to fix up some test runs for 125 and 147 for my HK USP. I woulda come put some holes in paper myself!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got some 147's that fall at your feet with 3.5gr of unique. never heard of a reliable 115gr that was sub-sonic. isn't that kind of contradictory? not much price difference in the bullets.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got some 147's that fall at your feet with 3.5gr of unique. never heard of a reliable 115gr that was sub-sonic. isn't that kind of contradictory? not much price difference in the bullets.

Well, the 147's that are currently available to me are twice as expensive as the 115's that I got. My preference is for 147's, this experiment is to find a happy medium with the bullets that I could get my hands on.

Here are the first results if this little test:

115 grain FMJ's with 4.0 grains of Titegroup. My test group was 100 rounds, function was flawless and accuracy was as good as any other ammo that I've tried. I tested these rounds in both my AR-15 and my M&P pistol. The bullets were nice and stable with ZERO tumbling or key holing. I shot them along side my own 124's and 147's and they were similar in sound with to the others with the 147's being slightly quieter from behind the trigger. I was fortunate to have someone stand to the side and listen, he indicated that the 115's and 124's were similar and that the 147's were significantly quieter. For some reason I did not shoot any factory 115's to make a comparison, this was my original plan but I had a brain fart and didn't get to it. Based on this limited group I'd bet that I could reduce the load a bit and get the 115's a little more quiet, but I'm not sure at this point if I really want to????

A little info on the weapons. The pistol is a mostly stock, full size M&P9 with some trigger work and sights. The AR-15 has a 5.5" TROS barrel and a YHM Cobra suppressor. I'm running the Hahn drop in mag black with a RRA bolt group. I figure there might be some interest in this info for comparison purposes.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 124s I've used are quite a bit louder than my 147s too when both are subsonic. I like 3.8gr of TG with the 124s and 3.4gr of TG with 147s.

Thanks for the review Rusty. What was your COL?

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't have good luck with my 124's loaded that long. They worked OK in the AR, but not as good in the XD.

I've been using my M&P barrel as a sort of go - no go gauge for COL and have had really good luck with all of my reloads in each of my weapons which is why I may not press my luck and just stick with what's been working...

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think they were building enough pressure loaded that long.

I gotcha... My thought was to load them as long as possible to avoid an over pressure situation. I suppose that if I were to try to really fine tune the load down that adjusting the COL down might be something to consider. As of now I'm pretty happy with what I've got and don't think I'm going to mess with tweaking it any further. you never know, I might change my mind later on. lol... I've got enough ammo that I'm happy with to wait for 147's, so I'm all good now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom