Suggested target distance for training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a drill that will test your fundamentals I would suggest a drill called "the test".
The drill is fairly simple a B-8 target or repair center(PDF's can be printed from home if your range doesn't carry them) set at 10 yards. You start out with 10 rounds loaded in the pistol, pistol at low ready. At the signal you have 10 seconds to fire the 10 rounds. To pass the test all 10 rounds must be in the black.

If you don't have a shot timer you can download an app for your phone or use the timer feature set to vibrate on your phone.

This is really good advice.

You say you won't shoot at less than ten yards. What is your group size at ten yards? Are you just slow firing or does each shot have a purpose.

If you cannot clean a dot torture drill at 3 yards then don't bother going out to ten and beyond.

What drills and tests are you running?

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We only shoot/train at outdoor ranges with private shooting bays. They range to about 50 yards long and 20 yards wide. We will typically have six steel targets spaced out along the far berm at varied widths apart. There are markings on the ground at 5, 7, 10, 20 and 30 yards. We shoot at different distances and incorporate movement, mag changes, etc all from the holster. We will also stand back at the 40 and 50 yard marks and shoot several mags worth of ammo.

We do this same shooting/training with ARs

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like steels at USSA that are at different distances. Close one is probably 5 yards and furthest one is 15 yards or so...they are 8" circles and I work in random patterns across them (the targets are not in a consistant further distance). Helps me with quick acquisition of the targets at different distances and shooting angles. I backed WAY up last go around so the far target was about 50 yards out and had alot of fun with that too.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my 80 year old mom practice at 5 & 7 yards, that's about how far it is across a room in her house.
That is very good. For people who are not all that experienced with guns, the longer distances merely serves to discourage them.

I started shooting in the early-to-mid 1970's at the Seattle Police range and they would only permit civilians to use the target range at 25 and fifty yards. Needless to say, I did not do well at that distance, but for a long time they would not let me use the police-only part of the range. When I finally prevailed upon them to let me use the combat range, I did a lot better. Why? There are a couple of reasons for this. One was the generally shorter distances involved and also 'combat' shooting is more fun.

Much of my shooting is done drawing from concealment and at very close range (3-5 yards) and a lot of it is done while moving laterally as well. It helps of course to own my own range where I set the rules.

So there you have my answer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom