Suggestions for a mid-range bolt action .22 rf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Anschutz 1416 with a 2stage trigger and 10/22 Kidd custom both with 32 power weaver t-36 scopes that are laser beams out to 200 yards......both rifles have 4-6 ounce 2 stage target triggers........look at a higher end CZ, Anschutz or a Kidd custom 10/22 and you won't be dissatisfied. The 22rimfire accuracy bug bites hard and you can spend the whole day and a 1,000 rounds of ammo having nothing but pure fun.

Two of my shooting buddies have Bergaras and they are excellent rifles.
What ammo are you using for accuracy out to 200yds?

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried all the top brand name ammo like lapua, Eley, SK, wolf match extra, Norma federal gold metal match and on different days and depending on temperature, altitude, humidity and atmospheric pressure, direction of wind or air directions, wind pick up and let off and shifts in direction all of which affects bullet flight and accuracy different bullets give excellent to mediocre performance.........I've found the consistency of the wind conditions to be the biggest contributor to non accuracy.

One of the biggest issues of rimfire bullet accuracy is the ballistic coefficient and they have the aerodynamics of a brick. Another issue of rim fire accuracy is manufacturing consistency from bullet to bullet in each lot number......... some lot numbers just don't shoot others do and what the rifle likes enters into the picture also.

The best overall consistent accuracy l have enjoyed is from Wolf Match Extra, the higher end Lapua and Eley match ammos in temperatures above 40 degrees F and Lapua and SK Polar Biathlon below 40 degrees F due the powder burn rate.

Some of the big name ammo companies have testing sites in the USA where you can send or take your rifle and they will test various lot numbers to see which one shoots the best in your particular rifle. Take your check book because 10,000 rounds of top of the line ammo gets expensive.

l found a certain lot number of Eley Tenex that shot lights out in my Kidd Custom but never could get a large amount of the same lot number because it shot well for a lot of people so l took a guess and ordered 20 boxes of the next lot number and it patterned like a shogun in my rifles but my buddies rifle shot bug holes with it.

Truthfully ya pays your money and shoot a lot test targets then hope you can find a large amount of the same lot number to purchas.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple other things that increases 22 rim fire accuracy is a super light trigger pull and a super clear high resolution scope of 24 power or above.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went old school and found a remington 581. Shoots most anything into an inch at fifty yds and touching with its favorite. If you run across one they are good lightweight hunting guns.
Forgot about the Rem 581 and 582. Those shoot good. I have 2 and both are accurate.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Savage has a feeding problem with Hollow Points. I called them and they said they are aware, but no fix. Stick with the CZ 457 MTR in wood if you want precision.
Have 4 Savage Mark II's and none have a feeding issue. 3 are discontinued Mark II Classic. And one is a rare Mark II stainless Non Bull barrel, No Sights in snow camo.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my Ruger Rimfire Precision in .22lr used, It was never fired except at the factory. I initially mounted a Nikon Rimfire scope, I had a Leupold Mark IV scope I had mounted on my Ruger and put my Nikon on my Sig 522.I bought a Timney straight trigger, that was very easy to install. Threaded barrel and I was able to mount my Atlas bipod, Ruger 10/22 magazines. Excellent rifle.

Nikon has discontinued the rimfire scope but Crimson Trace has a scope that fits the need and and budget, I have it mounted on my CZ 512 auto loader.

Range Day - 2020-09-08-3.jpg

This picture still shows the original Ruger trigger.

I was wanting to get into bolt action .22lr rifles, but I didn’t want to spend a lot of money, wanted to find out if this is what I really wanted. The Ruger Rimfire Precision Rifle seem to fit my needs and budget. The ability and availability to upgrade parts was a big selling point.

I purchased a Begara B14R, but waiting for the weather to break, to get to the range.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.

Latest posts

Top Bottom