1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Suggestions for a new refrigerator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hodrod, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Hodrod

Hodrod Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Has anyone had a refrigerator that has lasted over 8 years....Mine just went out last night and it was only 8 years old....any suggestions before I purchase a new one on what brand might be best would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  2. Hodrod

Hodrod Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Is a box store like Lowes or Best Buy a good place to purchase a refrigerator

3. KOPBET

KOPBET Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    <sarc>

Be sure to buy one that is foreign made!

</sarc>

Hodrod likes this.
  4. El Pablo

El Pablo Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I like my Samsung, side by side with freezer on the bottom. If you leave out the ice maker and water in the door, you will find reliability goes way up.

BobbyV, HoLeChit and Hodrod like this.
  5. dlbleak

dlbleak Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Our last one was purchased at Hahn’s to match the other appliances in the house. We may sell it(less than 8 months old) and replace with a counter depth. Before that, all came from Lowe’s.
    I had the capacitor go out on our other one twice. There is one for the freezer side and one for the fridge side. Eric’s refrigeration did the first one but he was nice enough to show me where they were located so I could do it myself the next time. Thanks to him I saved a $125 on the next one.

Hodrod likes this.
  6. DavidMcMillan

DavidMcMillan Enjoy your life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Last month we had to replace our 15 year old Frigidaire. We decided on a Whirlpool from Lowes. One of the problems you are going to encounter is the fact that there are very few, of any make, actually in stock. There are good reviews, plus and minus, on the internet. Good luck...

Hodrod likes this.
  7. scott024

scott024 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Norman dent and ding. I bought a fridge for the hunting cabin and one for my house there. The one for the lease had a ding/dent on the front but it was 50% the price of Homedepot/Lowes. The one I bought for the house was a high end KitchenAid with no signs of damage and it was 60% of the retail price.

I would not buy an LG or Samsung refrigerator. I know several people that paid big money for their fancy fridges and have had several issues with them.

8. Okie4570

Okie4570 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Don't buy a Samsung, it's the only refrigerator that we've ever had issues with and looking at reviews I should have done better research before I bought. When we contacted them about our freezer, digital settings were locked and couldn't adjust, and ice maker issues(both the upper and lower ice maker), they took our info, confirmed that we had sent in the warranty info and cut us a check for the total cost of the refrigerator.

skyhawk1, BobbyV and Hodrod like this.
  9. DavidMcMillan

DavidMcMillan Enjoy your life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My bride is another vote for staying away from Samsung....

BobbyV and Hodrod like this.
  10. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Son works at Best Buy in Norman and said the most returned and failure prone fridge is Samsung.
    He also stated these fools are getting rid of a perfectly fine working old school fridge that is from the 70-80 era.

He said those old fridges will last forever ..but he got that from me and my experience with the old stuff from the 40's to the 70's.

I have a GE top freezer bottom fridge like old school it was made in 2003 and still working fine Knock on wood.

Grandmothers Old fridge/freezer was not a frost free deal and it is still working fine.

NO digital anything on my fridge and you could not force one of those on me.

Stay away from heated ice maker.
    Yea Samsung heats the ice tray to make the cubes pop out.
    Always failing.
    I never liked the idea of how frost free works either.
    Another stupid idea for lazy people.

I have thought of making my own old school reliable fridge and market it.
    But I would not sell any because 99% of people like bling and love to show off.
    OH look I have ice and water in the door! I did not want an ice maker in my house hooked up to a fridge.
    I left it unhooked for 5 years and one day i come home from deer hunting and wife had talked her dad into hooking up that potential leak.
    Yep less than 3 days and I had to fix the leaking POS.

Back under my rock.

Hodrod likes this.