Suggestions for a new refrigerator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess ours is just different. In our RV home, we replaced the original RV refrigerator (operates on electric or gas) and put in Samsung 18 cu ft refrigerator. While it hasn't been quite 10 years yet (got it in 2012), we really haven't had much in the way of problems. We certainly haven't had to have anyone work on it, and our ice maker works just fine. Ours is one of the French style (two doors on top and freezer in drawer with the ice maker.)

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whirlpool again for me if the one I have quits. This one is 13-14 years old. It hasn’t been perfect. I just put the second ice maker in it last week. But the parts are easy to find and the ice maker was easy to change.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone had a refrigerator that has lasted over 8 years....Mine just went out last night and it was only 8 years old....any suggestions before I purchase a new one on what brand might be best would be appreciated.
Bought our Admiral (a subsidiary of Maytag) at Lowe's in the late '90s. 18 cubic ft (IIRC?), top freezer, with glass shelves in the fridge. Nothing electronic, no water/ice supply in the door. No ice maker either, because Sweetie had a portable dishwasher in the fridge slot and there's no plumbing where it sits across the room.

Apparently I bumped the fridge control a week or two back, and it started freezing stuff in the fridge (I try to keep it set with the freezer about zero and the fridge around 33-35F). I reset the knobs and everything is fine again.

Only complaint we've had is that it's a bit louder (fan noise) than our old one, and has been since it was new. But it still works great.
:drunk2:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't even know what ours is. We kinda need to look at a new one - hinges worn out, shelves cracking and breaking from age, etc, but there's no name brand or model number anywhere we or the last two repairmen can find. We bought it used at some place in like Sand Springs when we bought our house back in 2009. So it was a few years old even then.

I would love to have one of those nice new fancy huge ones, but we don't have the room OR the money to spend $2-3k on a fridge right now. If/when we ever get a bigger nicer house, I want something nice and new, but... honestly I don't know if/when that'll ever happen. Things have just gotten stupid expensive the last few years, and with the .gov printing digital money to hand out like coupons, I doubt it's gonna get any better anytime soon...

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought. Kitchenaid and never had a problem with in in eleven years-it went with the house we sold. Then a Whirlpool and the circuit board went out and it totally shutdown. (10 years old) then I replaced the circuit board and it is still working.
For what it is worth, you might go to Amazon and check the reviews on refrigerators if you can believe them. Some of these online companies do their won reviews.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my new LG refrigerator. One of the things I like most is the icemaker. I bought it at Lowes. I thought it was funny that in 2021 they still sell the exact same Frigidaire we bought in 2004. Other than the fact that it's old and dinged up it's been a great fridge too.

As for Made in USA. Good luck, the closest in the under 2k class I could find was Mexico and Canada. "Yes I opened every door at Home Depot and Lowes to look"

Also, with supply chain issues being what they are, I operated under the if you don't have it in on hand stock you don't have it.. Period..!

Latest posts

Top Bottom