Suggestions for Practical Rifle Match/Precision Range/Hike-hunt Pack??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide on the best pack for my needs here and I'm stumped past one brand and like 3 packs. What I want is pretty specific but not what I would think would be terribly uncommon. This is what I want.

- Rugged, durable
- internal organization/compartmentalized
- ability to carry rifle externally/semi-externally
- hydration bladder compartment
- Molle webbing
- padded waist belt
- good storage capacity

I am looking for a pack that isn't so big its unwieldy for a day at the range or a practical rifle match but large enough that I can pack a little extra gear like socks, undies shirts and wet weather gear for a couple day hike/hunt.

And for the rifle carry, a simple butt pouch and couple straps is fine or a full scabbard as long as it's where I can get at the weapon quickly. Along with that, the rifle that well be strapping in for the ride is a 15lb custom 300 WM 20" barrel, scoped and with a bipod, so not some little SBR with irons.

So far the only packs I've found that fit the bill were Eberlestock. I've been looking primarily at the G4 Operator, G2 and Lo Drag. I'm concerned that the Lo Drag might be a bit small for my needs but it's still in the running until I have more options available.

I really like the G4 and while it may be a litte large for match use, I'm not planning on being a pro so I can not overfill it, cinch it down and run it.

I'm willing to pay for quality but one of my points of contention is the price point. These packs are money and while I may end up with one anyway, I would really like to see a few more options that share the features I need from some other manufacturers. Also solid colors are a plus, not really a fan of camo for this purpose.

So that's what I'm looking for, what do you guys have for me?

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I appreciate the responses and I'm sure they are the best which is probably why I've heard so much about them. But I'm a big research guy and on a budget so I would really like options. I'm sure they can't be the ONLY ones making these types of rucks.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
VooDoo Tactical makes the Praetorian(external rifle loops). But if the eberlestock is too pricey/too much, why not just get a simple rifle backpack(safariland) and just add a few small pouches to the webbing that can carry the extra stuff you need?

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two eberlestock's and they meet your criteria fairly well. The last one I had was a lo drag and it sounds like what you need. They easily carried all the gear I needed for a five day rifle mule deer hunt. They are heavy if your going far in the backcountry (which you said you aren't ) the extra weight wears on you. The added weight and lack of a true frame are why I sold mine. I went with this http://store.kuiu.com/product-p/62008.htm and added the 1850 icon bag. I like the interchangeability of the Kuiu plus the weight savings over a eberlestock is substantial the 1850 with just the suspension would fit your needs exceptionally well. Add a gun bearer and you'd be set. Also look at a kifaru http://store.kifaru.net/mobile/packs-c15.aspx they aren't cheap but the quality of the ones I've seen are exceptional. I know a couple of hardcore mountain hunters who swear by them. Check out rockslide forums as well lots of discussion about quality packs over there.(they will all bash eberlestock due to the weight)I frequent there more than here under the same screen name. Join and check their classifieds lots o packs that would work really well for your needs at great prices. The Kuiu will be the last packs I'll ever need but in the unlikely event I need to replace one it would take a lot to sell me anything but another Kuiu icon pack I love the organization and durability. I packed about 65-70 lbs of elk meat 6 miles and could have done more comfortably.
Also look at stone glacier and mystery ranch packs. Never seen either but the reviews are good. Here's a quality vid link to a Kuiu 1850
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WIOoVVBeiRE

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that is what I was looking for. That nomad looks super sweet. Save me buying a match pack, 3 day ruck and expedition pack. Awesome info man thanks.

For what you're wanting, that was my guess as to what you'd pick. Check rokslide and eBay deals pop up all the time.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom