Suggestions on looking for a motor...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all due respects...
You're short on cash, and it still runs.

The solution seems simple to me:
Top off the coolant, and save up the cash to do it right the first time.

...are you really having problems with $3K for a proper rebuild?
Is this really the problem that needs looking at?

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've posted here before, my Tahoe needs some motor work.

Top-half rebuild at the least, from what my mechanic tells me. Coupla grand total.

The type of heads I have are notorious for this slow leak of coolant into the oil. Been going on a few years now. I've been putting it off, just keep topping up the coolant.

So one of my buddies with a big shop is working on a Jeep rebuild he's doing, he's a much more knowledgeable mechanically-inclined guy than I am. I've done valve cover gaskets, water pump replacements, etc. Fairly easy stuff. Did a brake job with one of my buddies years ago. Did tear down my old Supra and replaced the timing belt with an ex-g/f's dad, he was a machinist in the Navy.

So I can turn a wrench, take direction, and could follow YouTube videos, and I'm pretty sure my buddy and me can pull off a motor swap, instead of just doing the top-half rebuild, which I've been cautioned will eventually lead to lower-half problems.

I'd love to put a whole new crate motor in. But it's 2020, the year of COVID, I'm currently making less than 25% of what I did 3-4 years ago. I currently make less than a lot of 2 year nurses out there. It's killing us. So a crate motor is probably out of the question.

So how does one go about evaluating a "salvage" motor, nearly all of which are close to or over 200k miles? My current motor is at 267k. Do you just pick a low-mileage one and plan on rebuilding it? If that's the case, why wouldn't I just pull mine and totally rebuild it (with new/replacement heads)?

Do I just search salvage sites and throw a dart at a motor that looks good? They're all listed as "runs good". Ok, great.

So does mine right now...

<Edit> Hell, I'd love to swap the transmission at the same time, as I'm sure that's next to go out on my Tahoe (2004), but used/salvage transmissions make me even MORE nervous than used motors, and rebuilt.... well... that's probably going to put it out of my pricerange - which is as cheap as my ass can get away with.
https://carpartplanet.com/2004-chev...2F2M9H0oj22C6BNQjcG55FJvDXgx-LiRoCyE4QAvD_BwE

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still driving it, still doing all the same things. Can't afford to fix it, or really fix anything.

We've cut back on a bunch of extraneous costs this year, I've been on half pay since March, cut to 1/4 pay in Sept.

Just gotta keep plugging along, hope things get better in Oct. and Nov. I won't be looking at doing anything to to the truck until after the new year at least. Way too many bills we're behind on right now. 6 months of mortgage, business loan, student loans. Actually been paying business loan out of money saved for taxes last month and will do the same in Oct - because the bank couldn't extend us any longer. Then it will be gone, so I have to hope Oct is better (MUCH better) so that in Nov I will have enough of a paycheck to pay those bills.

Otherwise, it's likely refinancing and/or bankruptcy will be in our future.

So, yea, the truck isn't all that important at the moment - it still runs, so that's the blessing.

<edit> Don't get me wrong. We're blessed we were able to survive this long. Just found out next door neighbor lady has had no gas, water or electric for several weeks. Going to do an APS referral and hopefully we'll get her in a nursing home or something, I dunno.

So, yeah... I realize things could be worse.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen some low mileage motors out of totaled cars and trucks fairly cheap$1000 or so, my son yanked one out and dropped the new one in a toyota 10 years ago just with a chain hoist in a tree, we found the motor in Tulsa for $700 I think with 22k on it, direct swap was easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Swapping a motor ain't no easy chore for me. But even so, a grand ain't something I could spend right now. And we all know inevitably, there are lots of additional costs that pop up - even if you're doing it yourself and know what you're doing.

Which I don't.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sir,
You have some good insights. I agree, there are always unexpected costs while doing motor work.

I'm sorry to hear of the rough times you're going through. 1/2 pay? 1/4 pay?!?!!! That sounds terrible.
Is it possible to refinance the home or business? (reset the debt, and maybe lock in a better rate?)

I'll send a prayer your way, if you're into it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't worry about us. We'll get by. Lights and water are still on, and we've done our due diligence in keeping up with the lenders to make sure we don't run afoul.

Actually got some news this week that may ease the financial burden a bit, if not allow us to play catchup. Have a business meeting today to discuss some of those issues.

Still won't be doing any major repairs or remodeling probably until well into next year, but... at least may allow us to breathe a little better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom