Sumbeech shot my pool!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, this has gotten my wife shaken up just a bit so thought to share and get anyone else's opinion regarding the bullet.

Last Tuesday(3/21), was when we had a hard rain. Got up 06:30 to let dog out. Noticed a good amount of water standing on the side of the house in the back yard but figured from the storm. Wife comes into my office around 8 and asked if I knew the pool had a leak. Hmmm? No. All kinda thoughts going through my head. Get shoes on and go look. ALL BE DAMN! There's a hole in the side of my above ground pool about 8" up from the ground. First thought was a bullet but the hole wasn't clean. Didn't notice anything down low on our fence either. Got a rag and shoved in the hole to stop the water gusher.

Fast forward 1 week. Finally found someone who said they could patch it but we'd need to take off the cover first. So, we pumped off the water on the cover yesterday and finished this morning. Hadn't heard from the repair guy but pulled the cover back enough for him to access. Lo and behold on the bottom of the pool is an intact bullet. Went ahead and called the Tuttle PD to file a police report. Officer took pics then told me to retrieve bullet out of the pool. Took more pictures of the bullet. We walked over to the fence and found a pretty clean hole about 3' or a little higher off the ground by the gate on our fence. So, the trajectory went from 3-3 1/2' down to about 8-10" off the ground when hit the pool. It didn't appear to pierce the bottom of the pool liner.

I weighed the bullet on our Biggest Loser scale and it's 8 grams or I believe that's equivalent to a 124 gr or 6 Cheez-Its
pool hole.jpg
. How far could a bullet like this travel and go through our wooden slat fence and through the outside of our pool and the inside liner and stay intact? Last picture is of our property line. Ours is on the left and neighbor on the right. Halfway down that fence in front of my pickup is what got shot.

Attachments

• pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • bullet in pool.jpg
    bullet in pool.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bullet hole fence.jpg
    bullet hole fence.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • bullet closeup.jpg
    bullet closeup.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Property fence.jpg
    Property fence.jpg
    790.5 KB · Views: 0

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would make a joke about 10mm, but this is no laughing matter.

Most fence material like that doesn't offer up a lot of resistance to a bullet. Likely not even enough to deform the bullet. Seems to me the side of an above ground pool would though. Then of course the water would slow it down very effectively. Looks like a 9mm so not the power of a 308 or anything. I would think it could have been fired fairly close. But hey, could have been 20, 30 or more yards away. Even a handgun projectile doesn't slow down much within 50 yards or so.

I'm no expert and keep rambling. I'll hush.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is further away than the first neighbor? Do you have calipers or a 9mm brass to see if it is a 9mm brass.

Trajectory doesn't seem to line up for the closest neighbor as it dropped pretty fast in distance from fence to pool.
There's a second neighbor then open pasture to the hooligans in our area. The hooligans home is probably 1000 yards away maybe. I don't think I have any spent brass and no caliper. Honestly wasn't sure if bullet could've traveled that far and still have enough KE to go through fence then pool.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would make a joke about 10mm, but this is no laughing matter.

Most fence material like that doesn't offer up a lot of resistance to a bullet. Likely not even enough to deform the bullet. Seems to me the side of an above ground pool would though. Then of course the water would slow it down very effectively. Looks like a 9mm so not the power of a 308 or anything. I would think it could have been fired fairly close. But hey, could have been 20, 30 or more yards away. Even a handgun projectile doesn't slow down much within 50 yards or so.

I'm no expert and keep rambling. I'll hush.
I appreciate any input/feedback/rambling. From fence to pool is about 20 yards.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somebody has access to software to draw this up. With distances and drop etc.

It also appears the neighbor is lower elevation as well.

It's not much relief but I don't think your closest neighbor is responsible.
Appreciate you taking the time to help analyze and agree next door neighbor not likely suspect.

Could a 124gr 9mm travel say 1000 yards and still have energy left? I'd love to see the software draw up. Bets are the hooligans outside of our neighborhood but just going to be impossible to prove.

Latest posts

Top Bottom