Supper time as a kid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love meats, all kinds, I love vegetables including salads, broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts. Absolutely hate beef liver but I like Pate'.

Oh yeah, Ketchup is a food group.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom used the smoke detector as a kitchen timer. Our premeal workout was running around the house opening the windows and turning on the attic fan. Either eat everything or go to bed hungry(we could omit some the burned portions). Very little was thrown away and there were always left overs to gag over the next day/s. Luckily I found a woman who can cook, so I am trying to put all of those nightmare-ish memories behind me.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, I'm surprised of the number of folks here that have called the meal "supper." So many people want it to be "dinner." "Dinner" is the noon meal as far as I'm concerned.

In our house, Mom's rule was take all you want, but eat all that you take. Seldom was there a meal that I would refuse. A new side (usually a veggie) would be something I had to at least try. I wasn't really aware of it at the time, but we were also pretty poor, but still better off than some others in town. Bologna and beans (not necessarily at the same time) were pretty common items.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kids today will never understand how well they have it in most cases. When I was a kid your parents didn't stop at every 7-11 and buy you what ever you wanted. If you were out and got a 6 cent coke and a candy bar, it was a treat. We used to help wash and wax the car to earn a milk shake. You didn't get time outs for being bad. You got your butt tore up with a switch or flyswatter. When the tv became the babysitter, the country started going to crap.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree Profreeomolie! The kids today throw money around like it was free. Every so soften I see pennies on the ground and I pick them up and add to my collection. It was hard when we were kids, there was no McDonald's, Burger King, etc. As a matter of fact, I don't remember every having a "store-bought" hamburger as a kid. When we traveled, it was a quart of milk (I think we all drank out of it) bologna sandwiches and on the road again. I never knew anything else but hard. A nickel for a coke out of the machine at school was hard to come by and you can forget Christmas and birthdays, it was just another day. I was thinking the other night that some of the kids came to school barefoot one by the name of Snyder. Let a kid go to school today barefoot and they'll come home with bloody nose and the school will be calling. Oh, there was no such thing as "transientvestite" restrooms either, it was Boy or Girl and it worked! Male teachers wore suits and the female teachers were dressed like Sunday and if you gave them any sass it was at one's own peril. Walked 2 1/2 miles to school, you should have seen the line of kids on the road as you got closer to the school.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wax lips, Coke a Cola in wax bottles, and candied cigarettes were treats. Cinnamon toothpicks were really a treat because the flavor would last or you could dip another one. Trans restrooms? We had a community trough about 6 ft long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom