Supply Chain Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just going to leave this here..

Creative Destruction illustrates the economic cycles that occur within capitalism as technology evolves over time. While this process does not always benefit everyone, it is an essential part of economic growth and innovation.

Dude looks like every Econ instructor I had in college. Needs a shave & a hair cut, and wearing a 3rd hand suit that don't fit.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We appear to be in a complicated mess. Rolling shortages of many supplies are making life complicated for both business and consumers.

Many root problems are at play…interesting economic times, perhaps not seen since the Second World War.
*Land sea cargo container ships are piled up outside ports waiting to be unloaded - port capacities are too small, ships have gotten larger in an effort to reduce unit costs and ports have not been able to adapt
*China is declining as many manufacturing industries shift to other nations…the much talked about “decoupling” is happening
*Low cost labor jobs in the US are hard to fill…..automation may be posed to fill the gap
*Disruptive technologies are emerging …e.g. electric vehicles, space infrastructure …..causing traditional manufacturing and other industries to stagnate and managers struggle to decide where to shift capital investment

IMO the mess is not a mega conspiracy. It is not a time to hunker down and buy precious metals. It is a time of economic disruptions as techologies change and industries transform and nations face challenges…the future is emerging and we should look forward to it rather than wringing our hands and clinging to old doom and gloom explanations.
You my friend will change your mind very soon! The Confederacy was so wealthy they didn't need to manufacture anything, they could just buy it! When they were blockaded, and couldn't import anythng, they still couldn't make it, because they didn't have the facilities, machinery, or skilled labor! Sound familiar? I watched a program on 60 Minutes Australia recently, on Youtube streaming channel, titled something like, "Will Australia go to war with Communist China,"! Interesting if open minded, they said Taiwan, the likely trigger to this war, manufactures 60% of the WORLDS micro chips? If that is true, try and imagine what the loss of access to these micro chips would disrupt!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You my friend will change your mind very soon! The Confederacy was so wealthy they didn't need to manufacture anything, they could just buy it! When they were blockaded, and couldn't import anythng, they still couldn't make it, because they didn't have the facilities, machinery, or skilled labor! Sound familiar? I watched a program on 60 Minutes Australia recently, on Youtube streaming channel, titled something like, "Will Australia go to war with Communist China,"! Interesting if open minded, they said Taiwan, the likely trigger to this war, manufactures 60% of the WORLDS micro chips? If that is true, try and imagine what the loss of access to these micro chips would disrupt!

I bet your reading list is very interesting.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix...n-semiconductor-phoenix-plant-35-billion.html

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are three possible narratives:
1. China is about to take over east Asia starting with Taiwan and effectively push a weak, declining U.S.A out of the picture.
2. The current Chinese leadership is struggling with serious internal problems. To retain power they need to invade Taiwan but are too weak to succeed in capturing or holding it. Japan, Australia, Great Britain, the U.S.A. and others will engage them.
3. A new faction will take over leadership of China as internal problems worsen. No external aggression will occur.

Look more deeply into the many weaknesses and problems China is struggling with internally... you may come around to a different point of view.

I'm aware of our apparent reliance on the Taiwan chip production facility. I also read of reports of other facilities being built elsewhere. The information we learn from the internet is likely to be incomplete and or misleading, if it is a matter of national security.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife told me today that a school in OKC didn't have the food to feed students due to supply problems. Apparently it's here already.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife told me today that a school in OKC didn't have the food to feed students due to supply problems. Apparently it's here already.
Weird, the Chinese restaurant I frequent close to work quit selling chicken wings because they can’t get them anymore. Mmmm, garlic fried chicken wings, oh how I miss thee.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walmart has had some shortages. No water hoses. No rotisserie chickens. I think it’s going to get a lot worse. Surprised more people aren’t noticing the patterns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something not mentioned related to supply chain management is JITI. Just in time inventory that has been popular since the Japanese developed Six Sigma. To reduce the costs of maintaining a large inventory, most companies were keeping just enough inventory of products to sell or raw goods to manufacture their goods for a short period of time, they have used all the inventory and can not replace it in a timely manner. It’s all most like living paycheck to paycheck for individuals. Both are relying on a timely replacement of resources. With the .gov shutdowns, that cannot happen. The elitist have started the biggest economic catastrophe in history. What is worse, a virus that has a 98% survival rate that has shut down the world or a world wide food shortage that will kill billions?
I remember that Six Sigma. Our company went in full speed ahead as that was supposed to be the end to warehousing.
Some companies built warehouses around the area to act as buffers and be part of the supply chain. I was a purchasing agent at the time wringing my hands about how poor the supply chain was currently with delays and some products being a year out like bearings that are only produced in one production run, one time a year, but the management took a deaf ear because the "industry was moving this way".
What a bunch of dumb arses. They couldn't listen that we needed to stockpile repair and manufacturing products to protect against shipping and manufacturing delays.
The world was perfect in their minds. It sure bit us in the arse many times down the road before they decided spare parts/component manufacturing parts on the shelf was the way to go.
I'm sure they gave themselves a bonus at the end of the year for that personal enlightenment.
The rest of us just went back to work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom