Suppressed 9mm AR pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wanting a little input from the AR guys on here. I am thinking of building a AR pistol. I was originally thinking of doing a .223 but then saw a pretty good looking AR 9mm pistol. My plans are adding a suppressor when money allows, so I was thinking the 9mm would be a little quieter as well. And still make a decent Home defense gun in the meantime. And being a pistol I wouldn't need to get a SBR stamp. So does all my thinking sound about right? Any tips or ideas that I should know about before setting out? What kind of lower do I need to get in order to build a pistol? Do I have to register it after I build it?

Thanks.

BW

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy a stripped lower it will be marked "receiver" on the 4473. You can either build it into a pistol or a rifle, but if you ever build it into a rifle it can't be a pistol. MAS Gunworks has several lowers you could start with. They would even get my vote to build you the whole gun. Probably save a little cash over doing it yourself. I bought the parts and had Josh-L build my 9mm upper and he did a very nice job. I'd recommend him as well.

Gratuitous pr0n:

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_ARs_105e1b06.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I feel an AR w/o a stock is a serious handicap to saddle the gun with regardless of caliber. I think a suppressed, short barrel 9mm AR would be a really nice addition to the fold, but only with a stock and tax stamp. An extra $200 would be cheap compared to what you'll spend on the gun and can. JMO, YMMV

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may end up getting my lower from MAS but I would prefer to buy one with no paperwork if that option is possible. So If I bought a used lower that was already a pistol lower I wouldn't have to register it as anything would I? ANd I think a carbine length tube with a foam cover would do fine for a 9mil. It won't have any kick to It i wouldn't think. and the foam should be good enough to get a cheek weld on.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may end up getting my lower from MAS but I would prefer to buy one with no paperwork if that option is possible. So If I bought a used lower that was already a pistol lower I wouldn't have to register it as anything would I? ANd I think a carbine length tube with a foam cover would do fine for a 9mil. It won't have any kick to It i wouldn't think. and the foam should be good enough to get a cheek weld on.

If you are trying to "get a check weld" then it sounds like you intend to shoot it from the shoulder, not to shoot it like a pistol. Just file the Form 1 and make it an SBR. Why so paranoid about the paperwork?

AR pistols are silly and impossible to shoot well. If you're going to spend the money on a can and stamp, just SBR the thing at the same time.

Exactly.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the paperwork thing, I don't know. I guess all my paranoid friends are rubbing off on me. I have bought new rifles and pistols in the past.

I do not have the money to get a can or stamp right now, That is why I am just going to build the pistol at first. It is basically a SBR that don't have a buttstock. And being a 9mm I really dont think I need a stock on it. therefore the extra weight and $200 Plus the cost of a stock is unnecessary. WHen I do get enough money saved for a can and stamp then maybe I will get the SBR too, but I really think I will still not feel it is worth it just to have a buttstock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom