Supreme Court blocks Oklahoma from executing Richard Glossip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Supreme Court blocked Oklahoma from executing death row inmate Richard Glossip.

The Court granted Glossip's request for a stay of execution "pending disposition of the petitions for writs of certiorari."

Essentially, the Court will review the case. If they deny the writ, the stay of execution will end, and Oklahoma can execute Glossip.

Justice Gorsuch took no part in the consideration or decision of this application.

Clemency is denied for Richard Glossip.

Glossip's attorneys filed for a stay of execution from the Supreme Court. Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond previously called for the conviction to be vacated.

In an Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board hearing on April 26 his request for clemency was denied in a vote of 2-2. There has to be a majority vote. A fifth member of the board recused himself due to his wife’s involvement in one of Glossip’s trials.

The vote comes despite the attorney leading an independent investigation outlining what they called “significant material” the jury never heard: including letters from Justin Sneed asking to “recant his testimony,” Sneed’s bipolar disorder diagnosis, the state destroying evidence as well as supplying Sneed with witness testimony.

"Why would you destroy evidence in such a critical case, there’s no reason for it, it’s illegal and unjust,” said Representative J.J. Humphrey. Humphrey is one of 62 lawmakers who called on the independent investigation.

Representative Kevin McDugle has advocated for Glossip for years and says the vote is not about a man’s life, but a political game. He says it makes no sense that the board would side with the Court of Criminal Appeals when both the state and the defense agree the trials were flawed.

“They want everything rubber-stamped and everyone to agree with everything,” said Rep. McDugle. “They do not want people highlighting issues and highlighting problems and if ever there were a case where there were problems, this is it.”

Several VanTreese family members spoke stating due diligence has been done.

Glossip was the last to speak and thanked Governor Stitt, lawmakers, his wife and others for their support.

“I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had people stick their necks out because they felt like that was the right thing to do,” Glossip said. “I am not a murderer and do not deserve to die for this.”

During a weekly news conference Friday, Governor Stitt faced questions from reporters on this topic as many people have been wondering if he would step in and give Glossip a stay of execution.

He points out Glossip has had two trials, being convicted twice and been denied clemency twice. With that said, he told reporters he will stick to following the law.

“I’ve stayed his execution once or twice already so no I don’t see that," Stitt said. "We wanted to let the court system play out. Unless the courts act or there's new evidence brought before the courts, we are going to follow the law.”

Glossip is convicted of murder in the death of Barry Van Treese in 1997 and is facing the death penalty.

Glossip has survived nine execution dates and has eaten his last meal three times.

https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/clemency-hearing-for-richard-glossip-to-be-held-april-26

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this case is the only time I think a death entence was wrong and should be commuted
There are others. Read the Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small town.
It took place in Ada Ok.
I know some of the principles in the book that were in the bar and interviewed later. Their testimony was completely disregarded and dismissed which led to Ron Williamson being on death row.
He was totally innocent.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To my mind, I think science should be working on a real truth serum. Something that is safe and 100% effect. Once convicted the prisoner is required to be given the serum before any chance of the death penalty or life sentance being imposed.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took place in Ada Ok.
I know some of the principles in the book that were in the bar and interviewed later. Their testimony was completely disregarded and dismissed which led to Ron Williamson being on death row.
He was totally innocent.
Thanks for that book suggestion. I just finished Hell in the Heartland for the second time due to the complexity of it, and it’s a great book too.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took place in Ada Ok.
He was totally innocent.
I worked an event where I got to hear the US Magistrate Judge who led the investigation that resulted in that conviction being overturned, as well as two of the ladies on his staff who were key participants in the investigation (IIRC, one was his clerk and one was his legal secretary, but it has been a few years, so I could be mistaken). That was not exactly the finest hour for Oklahoma law enforcement or forensics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom