Supreme Court Will Decide If Civil Forfeiture Is Unconstitutional, Violates The Eighth Amendment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CAF is without a doubt the most clearly unconstitutional act being perpetrated against the largest number private citizens in this country today.

It is the most egregious misuse of power and overreach of law enforcement and local prosecutor's offices currently, and anybody that can't see that is no libertarian.

It is a ridiculous abuse of power, and if the seized assets can't be proved to be a result of the criminal activity, and pertinent to the commission of the crime it should be abolished from this country.

Stealing money from private citizens that cannot be tied to a crime or seizing non-money assets that are clearly worth more than the maximum criminal penalty for committing that crime is absurd. I guess moving violations resulting in the seizure of your automobile because it was used in the commission of a crime will be the next big thing.

Law enforcement overreaching, and violating the spirit in which that law was signed, for financial gain because they can is an issue, and it needs to be addressed by the highest court in the land. Hopefully they honor our constitution when they present their ruling.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strippers don't get "paid" in all $100s. The clubs just don't have that much money on hand to switch out all the bills so they walk with all sorts of denominations. Not justifying the seizure in any way, shape, or form..... but "stripper money" my arse lol.

Not here in Oklahoma, but this is Miami, FL we are talking about. If its a high end strip club I could see her getting tipped that much, and judging by the website for the club it is a high end place.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strippers don't get "paid" in all $100s. The clubs just don't have that much money on hand to switch out all the bills so they walk with all sorts of denominations. Not justifying the seizure in any way, shape, or form..... but "stripper money" my arse lol.

I have little doubt that she and her "friend" are engaged in criminal activity. That doesn't give the popo license to steal money and not put in the effort to prove their case. In other words, do the work you're paid to do. :(

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not here in Oklahoma, but this is Miami, FL we are talking about. If its a high end strip club I could see her getting tipped that much, and judging by the website for the club it is a high end place.

I'm not doubting you can make that much....that's not what I said. I'm saying that the change out to straight 100s isn't likely. The house doesn't care about your "bank" so to speak, and "bank" is a service industry term for your money. High end place with several girls? all want $100s..... they just don't need to take on all the small bills from several girls, nor would they want to. Some it? Sure, not all of it.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the haul being $19,934, I guarantee it wasn't all $100's. I suspect the officer chose carefully what to display in order to make it look as bad as possible, like they do with pretty much every perp walk or televised search ever (what, you think the TV crews just happened to be there at the time? It's all theater, and a lot of those boxes are either empty or full of irrelevant stuff just to pad the haul).

But, as GTG says, it's not important whether it was legit or not; the search wasn't, and the police should be penalized for an illegal search, else they're no better than the criminals they're supposed to be catching. I'm just glad the court ordered not only the return of the seized money, but legal fees as well. Pity it'll come from the taxpayer instead of the officer personally...and something tells me the only reprimand he'll receive is an off-the-record one for having his body cam functional during the search.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

;) See above.

Must be some serious allergies in Florida to need that kind of cough syrup too. :D

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/07...o-return-69g-spent-on-hellcat-muscle-car.html

Fox 5 reports that the U.S. Department of Justice has asked the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Office to pay back $69,258 that it received from a federal program that distributes seized drug money to law enforcement agencies, which was used to buy the 707 hp Dodge Charger Hellcat in May. ... The black sedan is being used as Gwinnett County Sheriff Butch Conway’s official car...

First we pick your pocket, then we buy a 700+ horsepower Dodge to take racing with that money. While I concede it doesn't note if the funds were criminal or civil forfeiture, I'm going ahead and taking the leap of assuming a good portion of the federal seizures were civil asset forfeiture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom