Surface Planer 16"-24"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Jonathan Bell @ Tulsa Hardwood Slabs has a big planer, are you trying to flatten a slab, or actually surface a 16" wide piece of wood? I know someone with a CNC that can surface a slab, I think Jonathan can also.

There is a great Tulsa woodworkers group of FB if you are social media inclined.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Jonathan Bell @ Tulsa Hardwood Slabs has a big planer, are you trying to flatten a slab, or actually surface a 16" wide piece of wood? I know someone with a CNC that can surface a slab, I think Jonathan can also.

There is a great Tulsa woodworkers group of FB if you are social media inclined.
Thanks for info ill try them.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are running a 16 inch piece of rough sawn lumber planing is the second step

First you use a large jointer to make one face flat
Then you use the planer to make the other face parallel to the flat face

Jointers cut the bottom face of the board and do not have feed rolls so they remove warp, twist and cup while producing a flat face. However they can’t make the opposing face planer to the first face

A planer cuts the top face relative to the opposite face producing a board of even thickness.
A plainer has feed rolls that push the cup and warp out while it cuts
The board springs back when it exits the machine

Used together you get a flat board

The big jointers were replaced by double sided planners long ago for commercial work.

There is not much demand for the big jointers anymore. Not too many folks ever made them and most went out of business long ago.

Assume anyone with those machines will be narrow minded about what goes through them

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are running a 16 inch piece of rough sawn lumber planing is the second step

First you use a large jointer to make one face flat
Then you use the planer to make the other face parallel to the flat face

Jointers cut the bottom face of the board and do not have feed rolls so they remove warp, twist and cup while producing a flat face. However they can’t make the opposing face planer to the first face

A planer cuts the top face relative to the opposite face producing a board of even thickness.
A plainer has feed rolls that push the cup and warp out while it cuts
The board springs back when it exits the machine

Used together you get a flat board

The big jointers were replaced by double sided planners long ago for commercial work.

There is not much demand for the big jointers anymore. Not too many folks ever made them and most went out of business long ago.

Assume anyone with those machines will be narrow minded about what goes through them
yep done this before. thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom