Surgery date moved

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about you! Any updates from anyone?

I can't call this an update, as we didn't go in with the family once the surgery was complete. They took Steelfingers into surgery at around 8:00 am and said that surgery would be about 5 to 7 hours. We (wife and I) sat around and visited with SF's family from about 9:00 on. They "buzzed" his wife once for an update of what was going on. Then around 10:15 or so, she was "buzzed" again. This time it was for the family to meet with the doctors.

I'm concerned because with it only being about 2 1/2 hours instead of 5 hours, I don't know if they just had great success or if they found more cancer. I've known of circumstances where surgeons just closed the patient up because the cancer has spread too much.

We will be going back to visit either today or tomorrow, so I hope to find out then. Discussion among the family before the docs finished included what the prospect would be with a person just having one lung, so hopefully, it is good news. At least, I'm praying for good news.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't call this an update, as we didn't go in with the family once the surgery was complete. They took Steelfingers into surgery at around 8:00 am and said that surgery would be about 5 to 7 hours. We (wife and I) sat around and visited with SF's family from about 9:00 on. They "buzzed" his wife once for an update of what was going on. Then around 10:15 or so, she was "buzzed" again. This time it was for the family to meet with the doctors.

I'm concerned because with it only being about 2 1/2 hours instead of 5 hours, I don't know if they just had great success or if they found more cancer. I've known of circumstances where surgeons just closed the patient up because the cancer has spread too much.

We will be going back to visit either today or tomorrow, so I hope to find out then. Discussion among the family before the docs finished included what the prospect would be with a person just having one lung, so hopefully, it is good news. At least, I'm praying for good news.
Thanks Terry, I'm sure we all appreciate any info we can get.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, Terry. Please tell the family we are thinking about, and praying for, all of them. FWIW - years ago, I worked side-by-side with a man who only had one lung. He had lost it long before I got to know him. He lived a full life for many years with only one lung, and kept right on smoking! Not that I recommend that, mind you!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, Terry, that COULD be an ominous sign, although it is possible they "budgeted" more time than absolutely necessary and things went smoother than expected. It is difficult to say. I know he was talking about the possibility that this was adherent to his heart, too, so it really could go either way.

Thanks for the update of what you know, and I will continue to keep him and his family in my prayers.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steelfingers! Can you hear us?! Just grunt or wiggle your toes! It wasn't that bad! Leave the nurses alone for a minute and check in here. I'm sure the doc said that getting on OSA was the first step to a speedy recovery. Hurry up cuz we gotta go fix Bigreds tree cuz he wanted to procrastinate.

Working here boss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom