Surprised by my Predator Generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought a Honda 8500 Watt generator for too much money due to having positive history with the name when I should've bought a Predator. I've read a lot of good things about that generator. They have even stuck one in a car and pickup on youtube and it traveled down the road. Not fast but it traveled.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought a Honda 8500 Watt generator for too much money due to having positive history with the name when I should've bought a Predator. I've read a lot of good things about that generator. They have even stuck one in a car and pickup on youtube and it traveled down the road. Not fast but it traveled.
i probably would have done the same if it weren't for a neighbor who bought one to run a well for cow water like 11 years ago. he said it gets no special attn and he bought two expecting it to not last,but that was ok because the price for two was a fraction at that time to a honda. it is still running

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to this website which sounds reputable Predator Generators Oil Type & Capacity Guide [2023 UPDATE] the first oil change should be between 20-30 hours then every 100 hours of runtime or 200 hours with full synthetic.
Predator 4000 Watt Generator (CARB / EPA III)
Oil type (info from the User’s Manual)
  • General use: SAE 10W-30 (above 32 °F)
  • Winter use: SAE 5W-30 (at 32 °F or below)
  • Summer use: SAE 30 (+50 °F / +105 °F)
  • Oil capacity: 0.6 qt.
  • Break-in oil change: 20 hours of use
  • Regular oil change: Monthly / 20 hrs. of use

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There on sale next week!
20230524_215930.jpg
20230524_215902.jpg

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am not fond of the harbor freight inverter generator. the ones i have been around would always trip out on a surge but the standard gen will grunt and recover. plus the standard gen is much cheaper and not really much noisier. they have really made them quiet. just passing along experience

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This reminds me . . . I probably need to change the oil in my generators . . . ugh. :)
Don't wait before it's too late! I learned the hard way. I borrowed a friends when we lost power in 2013... I ran it 6 days straight, on the 7th. it threw a rod through the block and had to buy my friend a new generator.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't wait before it's too late! I learned the hard way. I borrowed a friends when we lost power in 2013... I ran it 6 days straight, on the 7th. it threw a rod through the block and had to buy my friend a new generator.
Ouch . . . guess I know what I'll be doing over the holiday weekend. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom